Layout made and verified by me. Really cool light to medium gain OD. Could be a little redundant if you have something like a BJFe/Bearfoot/Mad Professor Honey Bee or Sweet Honey OD, because even though these two are op-amp based and all that, all three circuits get the "Supro" feel pretty much nailed.
Unlike the HB/SHOD, the Supreaux has a very standard tone control though (what I actually prefer), and doesn't seem to have a bass cut like the SHOD has.
I've included the mods necessary to turn it into the "Superbolt" version - I just didn't find it really necessary adding a bass boost or increasing headroom or whatever, but the mods are easy to do if you feel like.
Ah, have a MPF102 for Q3 if you want a clearer, less overdriven sound or a 2N5457 for more nastiness - that'S what I have in mine.
So, just wanted to give back to the community that has given me so much - I learned a lot around here. Special thanks to Mark and Miro - your work is truly an inspiration. This was my first layout, so it's a little rough here and there, I know. I have a few more, but I'll get them verified before posting. See you guys!
Great job! I wish my first layouts looked like yours!
Looking at the schematic, Q1 & Q2 should be J201 and not J102.
You could even make it easily fit in a smaller box by moving some components around:
Nice layouts - thanks! I may build this, though I've had mixed success with jfet-based circuits - some seem to bias OK and sound good others not, though the trimmers help.
Here's an idea that I had (certainly not novel) for replacing the trimmers, since I never seem to have the right trimmer values and I've noticed that they can be noisy. For a biasing situation where you simply need to find the correct resistance for a given jfet, I would consider replacing the trimmers with sockets for ordinary resistors. When it comes time to bias, just select a resistor which gets your the proper bias voltage at the drains of the jfets. You can do this by trial and error - start with a value half of what the trim pot would be (50K in this case) then dial it in by replacing the resistors with values which get you close enough to bias voltage. You could even take a couple of 100K pots and wire them to your sockets, dial in the bias, measure the resistance, then install the appropriate resistor in the socket. Note that since you are using a socket, if you ever decide to change the jfet, you can rebias with using a different resistor.