Random Number Generator - VERY quiet - please give suggestions

Random Number Generator - VERY quiet - please give suggestions

idlebeach
Hello! I apologize for not being able to give heaps of specific information right off the bat but I am hoping this is a common issue for n00bs that can be easily fixed.

I have tried to build a few circuits off of here and so far they either don't work at all or a couple of them have been very quiet. I definitely feel defeated if it just doesn't work but if its quiet it makes me wonder even more.

My most recent build was the Random Number Generator. I really took my time and used all the correct parts in the correct orientation to the absolute best of my knowledge. The transistors give me a little anxiety but I always try to buy the one suggested and put it in the way the layout shows. I am using sockets incase I find out I need to switch them around but I wiggle them and make sure they are seated all the way so there are no connectivity issues.

The only thing I can think of is maybe it's the way I hook up my switches? It doesn't seem too confusing but maybe SOMEHOW I am misunderstanding what goes where. It seems pretty obvious though. For example on the random number generator it says volume 2 to output - so I take the "from circuit output" lug on the switch and put it on the middle lug of the volume...right?

I am using this switch wiring diagram - http://guitarpedalbuilders.blogspot.com/2012/05/easy-3pdt-switch-wiring.html

Sorry this was long winded. If I could get some help I would really appreciate it. I need a stripboard teacher on discord or something to help me along but I don't know how I can find one so I am posting here!

Thanks!

Re: Random Number Generator - VERY quiet - please give suggestions

kizzer
https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/02/offboard-wiring.html

I've always used Ivlark's offboard wiring diagram, works perfectly.

Re: Random Number Generator - VERY quiet - please give suggestions

idlebeach
hello! thanks for the reply. i tried a few different switch wirings and none of them made a difference.

i ended up figuring out the transistors were put in wrong and i got it working. however i now have an issue where it doesn't sound right. it should have a sort of gated effect after some of the weird tones come as the note rings out. it looks like other people have the same issue.. not really sure if its a combo of transistors or what.