Rat and Muff on same piece of Vero

Luke51411
I'm working on a potential project where I will use the same piece of vero for a Rat and a muff variant. I'm basically going to take the two layouts and put them on the board one below the other so they will still be the same layout just attached. Anyway my main question is if there are likely to be issues with noise or squeal through this method and having these two circuits in the same box.

Re: Rat and Muff on same piece of Vero

Beaker
No to both questions, though I suggest leaving a couple of empty rows between the circuits, and to use shielded wire for input and output, as they are both high gain noisy circuits.

Sounds like a good plan.

Re: Rat and Muff on same piece of Vero

Luke51411
Good advice! I was thinking shielded in and outs might be appropriate anyway. I have a deal with a guy that etches killer enclosures and he wants a Musket and Rat and possibly a boost in the same box. Basically he etches and drills 2 enlosures and I build one for him and one for myself. Seems like a worthwhile endeavor. He likes the artistic aspect but isn't really interested in the electronics portion, so it works out pretty well.

Re: Rat and Muff on same piece of Vero

Luke51411
I also want to ask if anyone has experience putting these two effects (or similar) In parallel. We had talked about adding an optional blend circuit as well though I'm not quite sure how to accomplish the switching to have the option of two effects in series or parallel.

Re: Rat and Muff on same piece of Vero

I could be wrong, but if you want to run them parallel then the input will have to go to both effects, like a "y", and then have the outputs from both effects reconverge into a single output. Not sure how it will sound, but seems possible and simple enough.

If I'm right then you can easily add a blend by using a pot to wipe between the two effects input.

Re: Rat and Muff on same piece of Vero

Luke51411
Ok I could try that. I was thinking more along the lines of adding a buffered split/blend type circuit.

Re: Rat and Muff on same piece of Vero

Hmm. I think you could if you use one effect as the "clean" and the other as the "effect" if that makes sense.

Re: Rat and Muff on same piece of Vero

Luke51411
Yeah basically what I was thinking. I just don't know if there would be a simple way to switch them both out of that loop to have a series option as well. I suppose I should experiment some more to see if they would even sound good blended or if they are just best in series.