Red Llama volume fluctuation

Mulekicker
So, I built a Zvex Fuzzolo and Catalinbread Merkin in one box awhile back. I never bonded with the Merkin, so I ripped it out and built a Red Llama and put it in there (in front of the Fuzzolo). It sounds good but when I have the gain past about a third and I hit the low strings hard there is a noticeable volume fluctuation. It's weird, almost like a slight tremolo effect, and it doesn't happen if I pick lightly. Anyone know what could cause that? Something up with the IC? I tried 2 and it didn't change. Should I reflow all the joints around it?