Request for Help

motterpaul
I would like a simple schematic for the method to add a an effects loop to a pedal where it turns on with nothing more than a cable insert (like many amp effects loops).

Basically I need a mono switching jack where if nothing is inserted the signal (post effect) flows through to the output, but once a cable goes into the "send" jack it redirects to the signal to the jack output (hot) and then the return jack feeds to output of the pedal.

The Paul Cochrane Tim has one of these - with its own send levels, etc. This is how it is explained here:

If you want to include the loop it's a pretty simple affair.  Volume 2 goes to the tip of a switched socket (Send), and the normally closed contact from the tip goes to the main stomp switch board output lug, and also the tip of a second normal mono socket (Return).  So when no cable is in the Send socket the signal is being passed directly to the main bypass stomp switch.  When a cable is inserted into the Send socket, the contact is broken and so all the signal passes through the Send, back through a return cable to the main stomp.  A 510K resistor is also soldered between the tip and shield of the Return socket to act as a pulldown resistor for the output of whatever is in the loop.

The switches where the tip contact is broken and redirected when a plug is inserted are called "mono switching" I just can't picture how to wire this.

I have built pedals that work, but I admit I did it by trial & error. I want to get to concept solidified in my mind. if someone could draw me a picture I would really appreciate it.

Re: Request for Help

Pavlos
Hi Paul

is this the sort of thing you mean?
http://music-electronics-forum.com/t34839/

this looks like it could also be along similar lines? or at least maybe adapted to suit?
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3994.0

and another that might be useful?
http://musicthing.co.uk/modular/?p=1285

Re: Request for Help

motterpaul
Yup... thank you!

It was one of those things where I could read it, and I think I got it, but for some ridiculous reason my mind couldn't visualize it. I think I was just making it too hard - you simply break the output connection so it has to go through the loop. Otherwise it takes the most expedient route.

Thank you.

Re: Request for Help

Pavlos
you're welcome, only took a quick couple of attempts to find something that looked appropriateon gurgle, and I know what you mean, sometimes simple fairly simple things just don't want to make sense and the ole brain just twists itself in knots trying to fugure it out until you find a picture that makes you go....err......um.....how bloody obvious! well at least mine does anyway lol

Re: Request for Help

Sensei Tim
i think one of these will do the trick.