Request: wampler velevt fuzz. only trust vero's from here

Request: wampler velevt fuzz. only trust vero's from here

whomeno
Sounds to be a great fuzz. could you guys do a vero? only work with veros from this site only
Thanks

Re: Request: wampler velevt fuzz. only trust vero's from here

PMowdes

Re: Request: wampler velevt fuzz. only trust vero's from here

whomeno
Thank you

Re: Request: wampler velevt fuzz. only trust vero's from here

nocentelli
Be aware that you'll need a bunch of J201s to sort through to select ones with appropriate specs to get the sound of the Velvet fuzz.

Through-hole J201s are increasingly hard to source/expensive/poor spec because they are pretty much obsolete and maybe even out of production. I only had half a dozen left when I built my velvet fuzz: I didn't want to pay a fortune for a bunch and risk having them be out of spec, so I used a breadboard to find the three that got nearest to 4.5v on the drain with a 15k drain resistor. I then used a pot to determine the exact resistance that gave 4.5v for each JFET and used the nearest common value resistor for that JFET on my actual build. I think I ended up with 15k/12k/10k and it sounds pretty good, but Brian Wampler warns that the further the resistor is from 15k, the less it will sound like the Velvet.

You can avoid this hassle by buying a bunch of the SMD versions (MMBFJ201) and appropriate adaptor boards, since the smd version is reputed have tighter specs and is certainly cheaper.