Reverberation Machine problems (Gain + Bassy)

Reverberation Machine problems (Gain + Bassy)

Marbles
Hey Guys,

I'm starting to give up on this circuit. I have built it once, but the reverb was mild, and it was very bassy. Couldn't find the problem, so I started over from scratch eventually.

Have built it again, but this time changed the R1 to 1k (I believe my original build was 100k). The reverb is there now. Not as ' dreamy'  or soaking wet like the demo's.

The thing is: It is super bassy. It overpowers the verb, I'm playing on a strat into a fender combo and there is no highs in my signal.. The gain knob increases the bass, but no overdrive whatsoever, just low end. And I mean very, very low end. I'm not expecting fuzz, but there's no lo-fi drive either, just bass.

Could it be the reverb module? It has been in another circuit, and I made so many changes in that pedal that everything stopped working, but I have reverb, so I guess it is no totally fried.

Just twice in a row.. The only reason this one seems to work better is probably changing the R1.

Any idea what mistake I could've made twice?

The bottom pic is a bit scruffy, but thats because I knifed it. Hard.

Re: Reverberation Machine problems (Gain + Bassy)

Marbles
Ahem... That R1 should be a row lower... Sounds a lot different now ;)

The only problem I have now is the attack. I think a belton brick is basically a lot of pt2339s, and therefore it's verb is more like a slapback delay (??)
But at high settings, it takes about a second after my pick attack before the reverb follows.
Maybe experiment with R1?

Re: Reverberation Machine problems (Gain + Bassy)

Addy Bart
R1 just determines the volume of the bright setting. The pre delay time is set and not adjustable with the Belton brick.

If you want more dirt, increase the 22k resistor. I used 47k in the video. I'd suggest you increase R1 to 4.7k or just put a 10k trim pot there instead and adjust to taste if you go for more dirt, otherwise the dark setting will be much quieter than the bright.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y0xo2dmnpZU

Re: Reverberation Machine problems (Gain + Bassy)

Marbles
Ah thanks!

I think the volume is fine where it is. Too bad about the pre-delay. I mean, it is not noticable when you strum slow chords. But a short strum does not give a reverb effect, but a slapback.

Is that the way on your build too? I can hear it in the end of the clip, but it's surrounded by verb as well.. Hm.. I'll try your settings and see if they match, thanks!!

I used the newer Belton brick on that one. The BTDR-3 has an adjustable decay control and that makes the pedal a bit more versatile imho. The character of the modulation is slightly different however... Less in your face as you can probably hear in the video. If you're interested in making one with the newer brick have a look at OSHPark. You'll find it if you search there.
KT

I have this also but it is the character of this reverb I think. But sometimes I also would like to "turn it of". I think it is because the boost in the reverb path. Try to lower the 100K between pin 1 and 2. Try a 22K or 47K. But it will change the sound. I have tested this with a pot and you can also get cool sounds with higher values, don't remember if the slapback goes entirely away.

Re: Reverberation Machine problems (Gain + Bassy)

Marbles
It's hard, I even bought a new brick cause I don't trust it.
In videos I hear the slapback, but there is echo around it too if that makes sense. In mine there is really a delay and only then the verb kicks in :/
I'll try your advise though, maybe it's different, but still awesome.

A friend wants one, so it's not for me anymore and I would like to give one thats like the original. For some reason, Death By Audio projects are always surrounded by these factors that need to be changed it order to get it to sound like the original.
Are they just using mislabeled parts only? :D

In a lot of threads on this site there is a questionable result using the same parts in DBA projects.. weird.

But maybe not in this case.. dont have an original. Maybe I should try one somewhere
KT

Re: Reverberation Machine problems (Gain + Bassy)

KT
Which brick and IC are you using? What I still want to change on mine is that on low setting of the volume pot there's too much treble loss in the dry signal. I will try a trble bleed on the volume pot.

Re: Reverberation Machine problems (Gain + Bassy)

Addy Bart
I suspect it is the lowest right 1uF cap that is creating a low pass filter. I tried a lower value (pretty sure it was a 200n box cap) when I was building this for a friend and it made the gain side brighter.

Re: Reverberation Machine problems (Gain + Bassy)

Marbles
I'm using the 'older' brick for Long reverb. Ordered another to see if there's a difference.

I'm using the 4AIN chip instead of the ALN in the Layout. Gutshots showed the original having an AIN, so I don't think that's the problem?

Re: Reverberation Machine problems (Gain + Bassy)

hobbyseason
I used a TL074 and had way too much low end on high gain settings. I lowered the bottom right 2 1UF caps to 100nf and it made the gain side WAY more usable.

Id like to get high gain settings if possible just toying with that now.