Ritual Fuzz Gain Control

squirrels
I had some problems getting this one to work but I finally got the Ritual working... Kind of.  I swapped out the 1k resistor for a 1k pot for a gain control but only half of the pot works and the other kills all signal. I have lug 1 wired tone Q1 emitter and lug 2 to the bottom row. Did I wire it up wrong?

Re: Ritual Fuzz Gain Control

induction
Yes, you wired it wrong. You want lug 1 to ground (Q1 emitter is fine), lug 3 to Q3 emitter (the bottom row is fine), and lug 2 goes to the positive leg of the 10u cap (the other leg goes to ground). The pot is not quite a drop-in replacement for the 1k resistor on mirosol's layout because you have to move the positive leg of that 10u cap. You could move that leg to the second row from the bottom, and put lug 2 there as well (on the left side), but you'll have to put a cut between the cap and the 820R on the same row.

Check a fuzz face schematic to see how it should look. In fact, this is the same arrangement as the gain knob in the Liquid Sunshine we discussed in the other thread. It just uses different values for more of a full range boost.

Re: Ritual Fuzz Gain Control

squirrels
Thanks for the help, it works great now.

I guess if I would have read the comments on the layout further past "swap the 1k resistor with a pot" I would have seen it myself. Lesson learned I guess, read all of the comments and building pedals late at night might not always be the best idea.