Ritual fuzz trouble, no fuzzy sound just a boost

Ritual fuzz trouble, no fuzzy sound just a boost

actarkus
Hello all,

for my first effect, i made the one knob ritual fuzz (https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/04/1-knob-fuzz-bonanza.html).
It seems ok, i got sound, but no fuzz effect, in fact, it's like a slighty boost, but no fuzz, nothing clipping, i followed indications and values of the different parts, except i use two 2n5088 instead of the two tp2222a, because it's difficult to find them. I also tried with two 2n3904, and it's the same result, the sound of my bass is sligthy boosted, but no fuzz.
i followed the process of debugging, but nothing wrong, i don't undestand why there's no fuzzy sound, just a clean sound.
I hope you could help me to understand, it's my first try as i'm beginner, and i'm quite lost...
Thank you in advance

Re: Ritual fuzz trouble, no fuzzy sound just a boost

holm
This post was updated on .
Hi

I recently build the Dr. Tony Balls version, albeit using Germanium NPN's. I'm no expert by any means, but I'm not sure that the 2N5088 is a good replacement for a 2N2222, you might wanna try 2N4401 instead. Also,  I would look to the Q2 collector bias resistor (R5), which for the Ritual version is 2K I believe? You could replace the R5 with a variable resistor (10K) or if you don't have any at hand, use sockets in order to to find the optimal value for R5.
You might have to increase the value of the Q1 collector resistor, R2, as well.

I have a pair of 2N2222A's, don't know the gain though, but I will send them to you if you like!

Good luck
Erik

Re: Ritual fuzz trouble, no fuzzy sound just a boost

actarkus
Hello Erik,
Thank you for your answer and your advices.
It's actually true that the 2n5088 was not the best choice, and i found two pn2222a (in a arduino kit box i bought a long time ago), so i tested them, and it was much better. I tried to mix one pn2222a and one 2n5088 , it was not bad but less fuzzy to my ear, i guess it's a matter of taste.
So i use the two pn2222a.
 But i think there's something wrong with my circuit, because sometime, the fuzz effect disappears, that's strange, and i don't find error, i've re-done the solders ..... don't understand, and as a beginner, my limited knowledge don't help.
So i think i will do a new and clean build, and follow your advice  of using sockets for R2 and R5.
Thanks again

Re: Ritual fuzz trouble, no fuzzy sound just a boost

holm
Np, glad you made some progress. In what manner does the fuzz disappear? It could just be that the bias voltage is of at either Q1 or Q2 or both (eg determined by R2 and R5). Otherwise I would recommend you to try debug it.
I normally do this by using an audio probe - eg having my phone playing mp3 as input. Then I connect the output jack (the one coming from my soundcard/amplifier) elongated with crocodile clip wires, rod to ground and the tip connection is then used to create a connection on the board (using a cap to prevents pops). Normally you'd check directly from input jack to output jack for starters, just to see that you wired the probe correctly. This way it should be easier to find where the "sound stops".

Also look here: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/05/fault-finding-build.html
and here: https://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/debug.html

Re: Ritual fuzz trouble, no fuzzy sound just a boost

When you’re swapping transistors are you taking care to check the pinout of each transistor and inserting them correctly?

Re: Ritual fuzz trouble, no fuzzy sound just a boost

actarkus
Hello Holm,
Thank you for your help, it's finally working well !
Your explanation and probe scheme were very  helpful. I made a sound probe and saw there was something wrong under the socket of Q1, so i desoldered it, the socket was broken, and the board had a sort of crack, that's certainly why the sound wasn't always running corrrectly on the board. So i took a new board and decided to socket everything, this way i can swap each element and try different sounds, i like the tony ball 66, it sounds good on bass, nice !
Again thanks a lot for your help and advices !

Re: Ritual fuzz trouble, no fuzzy sound just a boost

actarkus
Hello Travis,
Thanks for your advice, the first time i actually put the transistor the wrong way, just looking at the scheme and forget to verify the E,C,B orientation. Then i changed them and all was ok, except the problem in the socket i discovered later.
Thank you for your help !

Re: Ritual fuzz trouble, no fuzzy sound just a boost

holm
Glad you made it to the other side. If you have trimmers installed you could use this one as a testing rig for testing transistor combinations.