Rockett Animal fizzing out

John R
Per Pavlos' recommendation I built the Rockett Animal:
https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/07/rockett-pedals-animal.html

When first hitting chords it sounds fantastic -- might be exactly the sound I'm after! But the notes quickly decay and fizz out. There's almost no distortion when the Snarl switch isn't on, even with the gain all the way up.

I used Tantalum caps for the 470n, 150n and 220n since that's all i had for those three. My best guess on the polarity was to put positives high, negatives low on all three.

I tried it with JRC4558 and NE5532 ICs (which someone mentioned on the original thread as an alternate), and they sound the same.

Here's voltages (with JRC4558):
adapter: 9.36V
1 5.67
2 4.63
3 4.41
4 0
5 0
6 8.68
7 8.68
8 9.22

Thanks for the help on here, I really appreciate it.  I'm finding this officially The World's Most Frustrating Hobbyâ„¢ but man, when they do work it's pretty sweet. I hope to get to the point where I can offer help someday too.

John

Re: Rockett Animal fizzing out

Zanius
Hey!
You are missing the "bass 1" cable, bottom left of the board!
Also my guess is that the middle tant should be negative towards the IC.

Re: Rockett Animal fizzing out

John R
Bass 1 did the trick! I was thinking the whole bottom row was ground - forgot about the cut there! Thanks so much!

I didn't flip that cap, though. I guess I could try it both ways and see, but since it's sounding good I don't want to mess with it :)  What would be the symptom if it's the wrong way?

john