Runoffgroove Layout Question

Meomy
Hey All,

I'm pretty new to the DIY pedal building world and have come across a question on a ROG Peppermill build.

Does anyone know what the LED is in the upper right hand corner of the layout?
It has the same markings as the 1M resistors, but LED is written on it.

Also could anyone help me with the red line to LED+ that is right next to it?
Is that where you would connect the LED for an on/off indicator?

Sorry about my ignorance.
I have this one built except for this section and am itching to get it boxed up.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Runoffgroove Layout Question

The resistor marked LED is just a current limiting resistor for the LED.  In this instance Miro has obviously done that so people can choose their own value based on brightness preferences or type of LED used rather than specifying a value that may not suit everyone.  If you're using standard LEDs rather than super brights then just use something like 2.2K.

Re: Runoffgroove Layout Question

Frank_NH
I suppose that LED resistor and lead are optional.  I do the on/off indicator LED as part of my off-board wiring, separate from the circuit board.

I've been using 4.7K for my LED resistor - has enough brightness for me and a reasonable current draw (although I don't worry so much about that since I don't use batteries in my DIY effects).

Thanks for your help Mark and Frank.
I'm excited to get this one fired up!

Re: Runoffgroove Layout Question

Frank_NH
Yeah, I have the Peppermill on my list too.  It's a great mild overdrive from all reports.  Right now, though, I'm in the middle of building the ROG Thor, with a couple of mods (e.g. bass pot instead of a switch).  Looking forward to firing that one up this weekend...