SHOD question

Orson
Hi,

I'm new here, but I've been building the vero layouts by |V| and others here for a long time. I laid off for a very long time (years) due to family stuff, and am now picking it back up.

I have assembled a SHOD (2nd layout). I'm stuck because the out put on the switch doesn't go to the vero board as is so often the case. The output apparently comes from volume 2 to the output jack. So is the output on the switch not used? Do I just leave that switch lug unwired and wire the vol 2 to the output jack?

Thanks!

Re: SHOD question

Hi Orson

It's wired exactly the same as the other effects, it's just the output goes from the Volume pot instead of a wire from the board.

If you look at the first layout on the Offboard page, the blue Output wire is instead the Volume 3 wire which goes to the pot.  Volume 1 is connected to ground and then Volume 2 is the real output which goes to the top right hand lug of the stomp switch in the drawing

Good luck with your build

Re: SHOD question

Orson
Hi |V|ark,

Thanks for the helpful reply.

I've been referring to the layout on the offboard page through this entire wiring job. I can't believe how much I've forgotten! So, to be clear, I just run the wire (blue top right hand in the diagram) from the switch to lug three on the volume pot then?

Re: SHOD question

Yes. It’s the same with most layouts that have a volume pot at the end of the circuit.

Re: SHOD question

Orson
Okay, now I know! Thanks for the help.

Re: SHOD question

Orson
One last thing - there are two grounds on the right hand side of the vero board. I have the ground from the DC jack going to the bottom ground. Can I tag the upper ground to the other jack, or inside the enclosure? Does it matter, I mean, it's all ground.

Re: SHOD question

Orson
Sorry to keep bugging you with this stuff. You said volume 2 goes to the top right hand of the switch, and volume 3 is the blue output wire that goes to the pot. So volume pot lug 3 goes to the board, and volume 2 goes to the top right hand lug of the switch?

Re: SHOD question

Yes, all grounds need connecting up so do whichever way is best for your build. When I have a ground strip top and bottom of the layout like that I would usually have a link somewhere in the layout making the connection. But in that case there was nowhere to cleanly put the link without increasing the width to 22 columns which would make it difficult to fit in a 1590B box. So I just used two separate ground wires shown with the assumption that you would just daisy chain from one to the other.
So connect all grounds up to the same point. You could even use spare holes in the top or bottom ground rows and connect the off board grounds from jack sockets and DC socket to those holes. Or daisy chain between the lot of them, whatever works best for you

Re: SHOD question

Orson wrote
Sorry to keep bugging you with this stuff. You said volume 2 goes to the top right hand of the switch, and volume 3 is the blue output wire that goes to the pot. So volume pot lug 3 goes to the board, and volume 2 goes to the top right hand lug of the switch?
Yes that’s correct. Don’t forget pin 1 to ground or the volume pot won’t work correctly

Re: SHOD question

Orson
Got it, thank you so much!

So it's up and running. Are you, or anyone else here aware of any way to increase the gain or drive? I used red LEDs thinking it would increase the compression and breakup, but I'm not sure it did. I assume increasing breakup via the clipping diodes would be to go to something with a lower vF. Maybe 1N914s or 1N200x? If memory serves, if I use green LEDs, that would decrease the breakup further.

Also, it seems a bit bass heavy. Is that something that can be shifted upwards?