So, I build the layout from the main page and it worked, but it had some weird sustain that would sputter out 8-bit like, and it wouldn't sustain more than 2 secs. And also the unity gain is like 3 o'clock, seems higher than normal.
I decided to have a look at the schematic and found the FSB thread where it got traced from, but there are still some errors in that schematic though, some things didn't get added/fixed. In the pics there we can see the 1N34 germanium diode looks more like a 1N4148, and there is a 22k resistor soldered on the volume pot between lug 1&2. This 22k would make it parallel to the 1M that is already between lug 2 & ground, so when we calculate that it would turn into 21.52k, meaning the 1M that is only on the layout now is too much. I replaced the 1M with a 22k and it sounds just like the original.
The guy who posted the pics also mention both pots are B100K, which could be the problem with the unity gain, don't think I have any to test so I can't be sure yet.