Sharkfin No sound

jghfslk
I've attempted the sharkfin  http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2016/04/madbean-sharkfin-maestro-fsh-1-filter.html  with no luck..

I started to do an audio probe and lost signal very early.  I am trying to get better at troubleshooting and am following the schematic on madbean's site.  I lose signal at pin 8 of the 13700.  I should have signal at pin 8, should I not?  And since I don't have signal there, I won't for the rest of the circuit.

Here are the voltages for the 13700:
1   1.19
2   .09
3   .04
4   0
5   .04
6   .31
7   0
8   .32
9   .07
10  0
11   9.31
12   .02
13   .05
14   0
15   .11
16   1.15

I can post my voltages for everything else if that will help too.  Since I am losing signal so early, my thinking is that my problem is with the 13700.

I did use a LT1054 with pin 1 lifted instead of the 1044.

Unfortunately I don't have a quality camera to take any pictures.

If anyone is willing to help me out, I would really appreciate it!

Re: Sharkfin No sound

jghfslk
I have been looking at the schematic and datasheets some more.  Maybe I should not have signal at pin 8 of the 13700, but should at 5 and 12?  Either way I don't have signal at either.

I also have no negative voltages at all.  I am thinking my 1054 would be to blame.  I am getting 9.36v at the input (pin 8) of the 1054 and 0.34 at the output(pin 5).  Shouldn't I be getting a negative voltage here?

Re: Sharkfin No sound

Alex
Without pictures is a bit difficult.
Did you check the layout for missing cuts, bridges, ...?
Almost all voltages seem to be wrong but I'm not sure is the 13700.
Using Brian's schematic, first thing to notice is the power:
you should have -8V on pin 6 and +8V on pin 11.
Can you measure ypur 1054 voltages?
Did you buy your J201 from a trusted source?

Re: Sharkfin No sound

jghfslk
I measured my voltages again this morning and they are way different..
On some of the pins my voltages keep dropping lower.
The Lt1054:
1   9.13 (lifted pin)
2   9.18
3   9.59
4   Started at 9.10 and keeps slowly dropping lower.  I am at 8.12 after about 20 minutes.
5   9.59
6   .19
7   .12
8   9.59

When I measured it last night my voltages were
1   1.34
2   4.82
3   0
4   started at 4.01 and noticed that it was dropping
5   .27
6   .26
7   .13
8   0

My voltages were also different on the 13700 when I checked this morning.

I don't remember where I got my J201s.  I think some were from tayda and some from an ebay seller.  I have used them on other circuits and they seem to work fine.

I am now getting a dry signal at the output but no effect.  I haven't changed anything from when I checked the voltages last night.  Any ideas why certain pins are slowly losing there voltages?

I also got my Tl1054 from an ebay seller.  I did however just order a 7660 from tayda and will give that I try when it arrives.

I should also mention that I tried this mod:  http://aquataur.hilpold.net/aquataur/musicstuff/fsh-1.html

If I am understanding it correctly, I just put the emitter in its usual place, move the base pin to the collector socket, and leave the collector hanging not connected to anything?

Thanks for the response!

Re: Sharkfin No sound

Ciaran Haslett
Yes lad

Alex is right.  Pics will really help here.  I built this just 2 weeks ago and it worked fine.  I also did the "mod" you mentioned.  That only concerns the Sample/Hold feature and shouldn't affect the filter whatsoever.

Take some hi red pics of the front/back of the board and upload to a photo sharing site...imgur/photobucket etc.  The layout deffs works so it can only be a build error.

The better the pics, the better the chance of someone here identifying an issue.

Re: Sharkfin No sound

jghfslk
I'll try to get pics up soon.  Unfortunately the only cameras I have take very low quality pictures.  I'll try to find one to borrow and get some up as soon as I can!

Re: Sharkfin No sound

Alex
That's where your problem starts: the 1054
Pin 5 should be around -9V and pin 3 should be 0 cause it's grounded.
I'm not sure is the chip itself.
Are you sure you've added all cuts & links?
Did you check for bridges?
Has everything been soldered correctly?
I would start checking your board carefully.

Re: Sharkfin No sound

jghfslk
I finally have some pictures.  I replaced my ics and transistors.  I used a max1044 instead of the 1054 and my voltages from that look much better.  Here are voltages for everything.

Max1044:
1   9.34
2   3.25
3   0
4   -5.78
5   -8.98
6   6.50
7   6.37
8   9.34

LM741 (top left)
1   -8.95
2   .05
3   0
4   -8.98
5   -8.98
6   .33
7   9.34
8   0

LM741  (middle right)
1   -8.98
2   -0
3   0
4   -8.98
5   -8.98
6   .03
7   9.33
8   0

LM741   (bottom right)
1   -8.98
2   -2.08
3   .03
4   -8.98
5   -8.98
6   .04
7   9.33
8   0

LM13700
1   -7.04
2   -1.00
3   0
4   0
5   .15
6   -8.28
7   0
8   -1.13
9   .02
10   0
11   8.71
12   0
13   0
14   0
15   -.97
16   -7.04

J201 (left side)
D   8.71
S   -0
G   .15

J201   (under 100k trimmer)
D   9.34
S   -1.36
G   -1.54

J201  (under D1)
D   .02
S   -1.54
G   -1.43

5088
E   1.88
B   -8.42
C   -8.98

3906
E   -4.67
B   not connected
C   -5.32  using base

Here is a link to some pictures:

Component side

http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/jghfslk/media/Sharkfin%20component_zpsnjfju7bh.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Solder side

http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/jghfslk/media/Sharkfin%20Top_zps8mhl6dz6.jpg.html

Re: Sharkfin No sound

Ciaran Haslett
A few voltages still look off.  Pins 1 on the 741s are not used yet you have -8v?

And you mis-identified the noise transistor.  The 3906 should be connected as per the layout.  It's the 5088 you want to play with.  Try correcting the 3906 and see what happens.  I'd still take a look at your cuts/links and soldering, just in case.

Re: Sharkfin No sound

jghfslk
I corrected the 3906 and now have the filter portion of the circuit working!  The sample hold however is still not functioning.  I get a very dull tone that sounds like a tone knob is rolled back.  The rez control gives a slight boost (mostly adding bass) but that's it.  I decided to have external pots instead of trimmers and they do nothing to the sound.  For the noise transistor, do I put the emitter in its normal socket, put the base of the 5088 in the collector socket, and have nothing connected to the base socket and collector of the transistor?