Shielding

PMowdes

Hi all

Quick shielding question.  I've brought some 2 core shielded cable for the input and output.

Do i shield from the board to the switch as well as from the switch to the jacks??

Cheers

Phil

Re: Shielding

Neil mcNasty
The normal/most common way is to attach the shield only at the jack end/jack's ground lug, and that's it!
This logic comes from the world of Amp-building where ground loops can be a problem, but since pedals do not have the same problems regarding ground loops, it is safe to attach the shield at both ends, but it is not necessary...

Re: Shielding

nocentelli
I've only bothered with shielded cable once or twice, but I'd suggest if it's worth doing, it's worth using it on both jack->switch AND switch->board.

Re: Shielding

PMowdes
nocentelli wrote
I've only bothered with shielded cable once or twice, but I'd suggest if it's worth doing, it's worth using it on both jack->switch AND switch->board.
That's kinda what i thought, thanks gents.  I've been having some weird interference with a phase 90 that i built, it seems to introduce noise into other pedals in the chain.  I think it might have something to do with my power supply but i figure it can't hurt to shield the input/output.

Re: Shielding

Beaker
I use Van Damme 2 core + ground cable on any pedals that I consider might be susceptible to noise.

I use one length of shielded cable to connect the board input/output/ground to the 3PDT, and another to connect the 3PDT input/output/ground lugs to the jack sockets.

Like nocentelli, I hook up both ends of the ground. If you use the cables' ground wires to connect the 3PDT switch to the jack ground lug and board ground, you "save" a  couple of wires from your build.

I know the theory says that you should avoid ground loops, but they are very short and in a grounded enclosure anyway. So far this has never caused me an issue.

Re: Shielding

PMowdes
Beaker wrote
I use Van Damme 2 core + ground cable on any pedals that I consider might be susceptible to noise.

I use one length of shielded cable to connect the board input/output/ground to the 3PDT, and another to connect the 3PDT input/output/ground lugs to the jack sockets.

Like nocentelli, I hook up both ends of the ground. If you use the cables' ground wires to connect the 3PDT switch to the jack ground lug and board ground, you "save" a  couple of wires from your build.

I know the theory says that you should avoid ground loops, but they are very short and in a grounded enclosure anyway. So far this has never caused me an issue.
I brought the same cable based on one of your comments in another thread :)

Re: Shielding

Muadzin
I use grounding from the input wire to also supply ground to both the switch and circuit board. In my opinion the less wiring inside a pedal, the better.

Re: Shielding

motterpaul
I have found that the wire bringing signal from the circuit back to the footswitch is often the one most responsible for microphonics. In my last pedal I used solid core 22 cable to run it along the edges and away from the chips and caps and it made a huge difference in overall noise and microphonics. If I had some good small shielded cable I would use it instead.

What are you guys using for small diameter shielded cable?

Re: Shielding

Beaker
This stuff:

http://www.vdctrading.com/shop/van-damme-cable/audio/Single-Channel-Analogue-Audio-Cable/van-damme-pro-grade-classic-xke-1-pair-install/

Great audio grade cable, small diameter (24 AWG) and shrink proof insulation.

Re: Shielding

motterpaul
I will look into it. I bought some of what was said to be 24AG cable on amazon, but the actual diameter of the rubber coating was 1/4".

I would think shielded internal guitar wire would be good.

Re: Shielding

PMowdes