Should gain controls "go to zero"?

Frank_NH
I've been messing around lately with the Subdecay Liquid Sunshine overdrive circuit and almost have it dialed in.  It has two gain controls and both are capable of cutting the signal (either to ground or choking the source resistor in a jfet gain stage).  I'm probably go to set up the control pots with a fixed resistor to prevent this, but I'm wondering what others think.  BTW, I'm OK with the volume control going to zero volume (like and amp).

Re: Should gain controls "go to zero"?

I don't mind it going down to nothing.  Something like a Big Muff always has a minimum gain resistor to stop that happening but in reality it's just acting like a preamp volume control and I quite like the fact that you can go down quite low in the "preamp" stage and boost it with the final volume pot.

But mostly the reason I don't mind them is I'm never too far away from maximum anyway, so what's happening at the other end doesn't concern me too much

Although I will say a minimum resistor can be useful with some pedals that are good sounding at both high and low gain levels, simply because if you use a minimum resistor to set it to the lowest gain that is useful for you, then you have a lot greater resolution throughout the pots rotation of good usable gain settings.  For one trick ponies it doesn't bother me so much