Show Yor Tribute and Gratitude!

Neil mcNasty

Letting people know that they are appreciated is important to communicate!
People forget to do that, and the world can quickly become a lonely place if one is lacking such.
A small note of appreciation on the other hand, can make a world of a difference at the other end! A slight smile from an unknown passer-by, can warm a lonely heart for an entire day!

Here’s why I have passion for this site:
This is where it all started for me, after my friend challanged me to build a pedal myself, rather than bying one of his DIY pedals.
As soon as I knew what a veroboard was, this site drew my attention: clean, tidy, indexed, categorized, linked, and most importantly: Verification of layouts with troubleshooting team efforts to guide you through any unforseen obsatcles that you might encounter.

Yes there are places that give you more information and a higher knowledge level, but they are not as a good experience (as a user) as this site. I’ve learned more from the stuff that goes on here, than most other sites!

Since then it has taken me on a journey of learning electronics that I would not have imagined, when initially starting out. The stuff I am able to design and build, due to this humble start, has created a limitless creative potential. I build my own studio gear and synthesizers now. 😎
The stuff I can do now, compared to before, is simply staggering!
The ammount of people I have been able to help, is a reward in it self!
It has brought me places I never imagined, creating sounds I never imagined!

Re: Show Yor Tribute and Gratitude!

Pavlos
I was looking for wiring diagrams for electric guitars and found this site completely by accident, was equal parts intrigued, and daunted by what was here. Over the next few months I read a lot, the guides, what people had posted on the layout pages, the forum posts. I started to understand a little bit (But only a little bit), and read a whole lot more, eventually dipping my toes in the water and attempting a build.......and it worked! wow!

I've learned a lot more since then, though still at a fairly basic level and I'm nowhere near as knowledgable or capable as those who contribute layouts and technical know-how, though I have been pleased that I have been able to help a little bit along the way as others have taken their own first steps down the rabbit hole. And that is part of what I like d so much, the fact that we are all willing to help each other out, and that disagreements are rare, and tend not to descend into anything too embarrassing. I've had my horizons widened, and I've learned to love pedals that I wouldn't have even thought about trying without this site.

I appreciate this site, the wealth of knowledge it contains, and the people who so generously gift their time, and their efforts to us all. So thank you everyone, and I hope in my own small way, I've managed to contribute something positive too :)

Re: Show Yor Tribute and Gratitude!

fx-fidden
This forum is a very good source to find schematics, veroboards and protoboards layout beside the tabgoard collection. Without the layouts I find here I wouldn't build (maybe not so easily) some of my pedals.

I still like forums, where I can share information, give my contribution and getting some help.
I build pedals

Re: Show Yor Tribute and Gratitude!

Silver Blues
Like many, this place started me on my pedal-building journey and gave me my most time-consuming and enjoyable hobby, so I cannot thank everyone involved enough for that gift. I went from extremely basic electronics knowledge to learning to modify circuits to my liking, learning to use DIYLC to lay out tidy and functional veros, all the way to building microphones, designing my own enclosure graphics and even using KiCAD to design my own PCBs. This place is like a home for all DIY pedal building endeavours and a monument to community and the open-source spirit.

Re: Show Yor Tribute and Gratitude!

Sensei Tim
This is when i cut my teeth with pedal making!

it started out as a cool small hobby to get new tones and eventually spun out of control (in a good way).

everyone here was so supportive and open with sharing knowledge and troubleshooting tips and how-tos.

I did a little bit of the etch your own PCBs... enough to know that this wasn't a realistic option.  did the OSHpark thing for a bit but then when i discovered JLC all bets were off.   another thing that pushed me to PCBs is that the place that made and sold the large stripboard panels that i used to buy stopped making stripboard altogether. this kind of forced me to learn eagle as well.

A lot of the old timers here gave me a lot of inspiration.  in no particular order, JohnK, Travis, Geiri, rocket88, kinski, Chris60601, IVIark, and so many others.

It forced me to learn inkscape and spend so many hours perfecting waterslides before moving to affinity designer and UV printing

how it started (i had to dig thru the show your pedal guts thread to find this pic)

and how it's going today:

i must have had a lot of trauma when it came to offboard wiring because i go out of my way now to not have ANY wiring in any pedal anymore lol

I have noticed that the forum and blog have slowed considerably from the peak period but this place is still such an incredible resource!

Keep on keepin' on!

Re: Show Yor Tribute and Gratitude!

Chris mudd
I am just a grunt pedal builder! Often, I have no idea what everything does, but I can follow the recipe.I have built a lot of pedals and some of them actually work!
I am always amazed at how open and nice everyone has been to me and my occasional silly questions. This is a wonderful resource that has opened a whole new realm of resources to feed my guitar pedal obsession.

I thank you, my wife not so much (if you know what I mean)

chris