Signal passes through modded Phase 45 but no phasing

Signal passes through modded Phase 45 but no phasing

GrooveChampion
So I build the modded Phase 45

Now, I used TL072's for the OP amps and used J201s for the Jfets. And I may have used a different diode for the Zener....

Signal passes through unaffected. I just hear a subtle change when I turn the mix control and that's it. Suggestions?

Re: Signal passes through modded Phase 45 but no phasing

Are the JFETs matched?

Re: Signal passes through modded Phase 45 but no phasing

GrooveChampion
Most likely no, I have 5 J201s including the ones in the Phaser. Should I just go through them?

Re: Signal passes through modded Phase 45 but no phasing

In order to build it right and have it work the gets need to be matched. TBH, I doubt with having 5 FETs that you'll have a match quartet. I would suggest either buying more or find a matched set for sale. Without doing one of the above you're really not going to get it to work.

Re: Signal passes through modded Phase 45 but no phasing

Since this is the 45 he only needs a matched pair. You might have a match out of 5.

You can build the JFET matcher on the main page http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/07/greatly-improved-jfet-matcher.html?m=1

Re: Signal passes through modded Phase 45 but no phasing

Oop. I read it that it was a phase 90 not 45. I still think with 5 FETs and assuming they're trough hole, I'm still inclined to say the odds are small to get a matched pair do to a lot of inconsistencies between them. That could just me based on my luck though.

I agree with Travis to use the FET matcher, and see if you've got a matched pair. If not either grab some more or look to see if you can buy a matched set.

Re: Signal passes through modded Phase 45 but no phasing

GrooveChampion
OK, just to make sure. Lets say I get a matched pair, and still no sound. What should I check next? Besides a different phaser layout?

Re: Signal passes through modded Phase 45 but no phasing

Lol. I won't go so far to say you need to look at another Phaser layout if a matched pair doesn't fix the issue. There's a few things to do first.

1 go through the board painstakingly checking component, wires, cut, and jumper positions.
2 knife the tracks to ensure there's no tiny bridges, then do it one more time just to be safe.
3 check the ICs to make sure they're not faulty

Usually you'll get it before step 3.

Re: Signal passes through modded Phase 45 but no phasing

GrooveChampion
Usually steps 1-2 leave the effect not working at all