Simulating tube amps in overdrive circuits

Simulating tube amps in overdrive circuits

notnews
Hey All

From what I understand, part of the allure and magic of tube amps, when it comes to an overdriven signal generated by valves clipping the signal, is a "sag" at play.. that is, it takes a short amount of time for the tubes, especially push-pull valve arrangements because the full volume of the sound is displaced across two tubes each handling half the sound (i would think, could be wrong.. but not critical to the overall point), to reach the full volume and full clipping capacity of the tubes because of the amount of time it takes for the valves to charge up, charge down, etc..

Does the implementation of a PT2399 delay chip at super short delay times, pushed through filters and clipping arrangements, in an attempt to simulate the voltage sag of valves, sound ridiculous?

I imagine a circuit that, when it's hit with a transient signal, goes through an adjustable delay before it hits the clipping stages. It would be a really slight delay, and could even run through a filter at some point too to more accurately voice the clipping like the tube amp of your choice.

We can even look up the "sag" times of, say, 6L6 tubes, and set up the delay to mimic that amount of time. That's all keeping in mind that the delay chip is capable of such short delay times, I'm not sure if that's possible.. maybe the PT2399 isn't the chip to use here? If we had to implement a BBD or something like that it's starting to become overkill.. dragging a clock and a delay line into an overdrive circuit sounds a little nuts. An all-encompassing IC like the PT would be ideal I'd think..

anyway, just wanted to get your thoughts. stupid idea? any OD's out there with a pre-OD delay that allows for the amount of clipping to ramp up a bit as the note evolves?

Re: Simulating tube amps in overdrive circuits

Frank_NH