Skreddy Lunar Module unity gain

Marbles
Hey guys,

I have been in a Skreddy mood this past 2 weeks and built a Screwdriver, P19 (well, 2) and a Lunar Module.

They all have been sounding great, but the Lunar Module does not get to unity till around 3 o cock or a little over it.

It sounds great though, no problem with it, I just like to have some more volume at hand. Especially when the body-knob (...) is turned down, I have to dime the volume to get to unity.

Is that the pedal? Or a build error?

Re: Skreddy Lunar Module unity gain

Marbles
Hmm, I switched the bright and body knob, I meant to say the bright knob.

The lugs of the fuzz pot were awfully close together, one of them goed to ground, so that could explain something. It seems to be a bit better now, loud enough when you use it as a fuzz unit, but you're not going to get a clean boost out of it.

Could this be perception? I play through a twin, but not over 2. Could it be different in a band setting?

Re: Skreddy Lunar Module unity gain

Muadzin
I swapped the log volume pot for a linear pot on my builds. I almost always do as with log unity gain usually always is somewhere around 14:00 to 15:00. Now I rarely have to push it beyond 12:00, usually even less.

And why would you want to use this as a clean boost? It's a fuzz pedal on steroids.

Re: Skreddy Lunar Module unity gain

Marbles
Haha, you're totally right. I would not ever do that.

But I read some description about it being able to do so. Which made me think there was something wrong with my build.
Maybe I should swap it in the future. It just feels... wrong when most of the volume sweep is past 12.

Thanks!

Re: Skreddy Lunar Module unity gain

nocentelli
It's not super loud, but should get unity at most settings. The "brite" control is just the Rat pedal's filter control which is simply a series variable reistor followed by a cap to ground, giving a crude but effective low pass filter: Because of the series resistor, very low settings on brite (I.e. High resistance) will cut output level. If you're certain there is no other fault in the build causing the issue, you could try swapping in the SWTC (simply wonderful tone control) which wil give treble "boost" as well as cut, which might give you a bit more level.

Re: Skreddy Lunar Module unity gain

Marbles
Ah, thanks for the explanation!

That makes sense. It's doable, and loud enough... just.. used to have  more volume to play with :) Since the P19 and Screwdriver were plenty loud, I thought maybe I did something wrong..
 The pedal sounds fine as it is. Every knob works. Maybe it's a bit of perception too. My ears perceive more bright tones as louder when I play on lower volume. I'll try it on a louder setting if possible.