Slightly OT: Has anyone ever built an amp?

Slightly OT: Has anyone ever built an amp?

alex.s
I'm asking this as I have an old Peavey 15w combo which I never use, and have been thinking about gutting it/recycle parts for a while. The springs for the reverb would end up in a stand alone small spring reverb unit, while I could use the cabinet and speaker to build a little amp of my own?

I am aware of the implications of working with 220v instead of the 9/18v we are used to when building pedals, but my knowledge in guitar amp circuitry is very limited at the moment. I'd like to look into it more and been wondering if, wanting to build an amp that's valve rather than SS, I could recycle the transformers from the Peavey?

I'm not looking for very specific suggestions, but anything that could point me in the right direction would be very much appreciated!

Also, if you have built your own amp, just take this thread as a chance to talk about it, I'm sure more than one would be interested in reading.

If this is indeed too off topic, just let me know and do shut me down :)

Alex

Re: Slightly OT: Has anyone ever built an amp?

dexxyy
There's already a thread about this Here
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Sorry, link no worky, search the forum for "amp build" and you'll find a thread on this subject.
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: Slightly OT: Has anyone ever built an amp?

PStevenson

Re: Slightly OT: Has anyone ever built an amp?

Milkit
Ok, so this isn't quite building your own from scratch/grounds up etc, but it's a damn fine place to start, Alex!  Check out Ampmaker.com

I've made their SE-5A & the PP-18, the latter of which is my main gigging amp.  Super cool stuff & you're guided through the build process which makes it so much easier.

I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed with the results mate!
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it!

Re: Slightly OT: Has anyone ever built an amp?

dexxyy
alex.s wrote

most valve amp`s use step up transformers so you could be messing with a lot more than 220 volts. Look into capacitor dissipation as well cos high voltage caps hold a charge long after switch off, seriously, those mother`s can kill.
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: Slightly OT: Has anyone ever built an amp?

alltrax74
I just ordered the WF-55 from Barry, this will be my first tube amp build
I'll run it with a single 6L6 as I'm looking for clean tones

Re: Slightly OT: Has anyone ever built an amp?

alex.s
Milkit wrote
Ok, so this isn't quite building your own from scratch/grounds up etc, but it's a damn fine place to start, Alex!  Check out Ampmaker.com

I've made their SE-5A & the PP-18, the latter of which is my main gigging amp.  Super cool stuff & you're guided through the build process which makes it so much easier.

I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed with the results mate!
Cheers mate, I actually did have a look on ampmaker and will give it a go at some point. Looks like fun and an easy way to get started!

The PP-18 in particular looks good - been thinking about a small head to take around for gigs and borrowing a JTM45 (I used to have one of those) from the guitarist of a band I played with recently reminded me how much I liked it, so a Marshall option sounds sweet...!

I once tried an original 1974X combo years and years back and it was one sweet amp. How loud does the PP-18 get?

On a different note, has anyone ever seen a tube pre/ss power amp project?

Re: Slightly OT: Has anyone ever built an amp?

alex.s

Re: Slightly OT: Has anyone ever built an amp?

alltrax74

I'm not too sure about the true output value mate, but it is loud, even at 18watts.  I used it on Friday night in fact, it was mic'd up, but it didn't really need it for the venue size.
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it!

Re: Slightly OT: Has anyone ever built an amp?

Jon Rep
Alex, Interesting you mentioned the JTM45. Nick from CeriaTone also once said if he had to choose an Amp to Gig with he'd go with the JTM45.  The JTM45 is the Marshall Version based on  the Fender Bassman because they reckoned this was at the time the best sounding Fender Amp.   PS. Nick builds amps in Malaysia.   I was thinking of building a JTM45 but I already have a Bassman.

 http://ceriatone.com/

Re: Slightly OT: Has anyone ever built an amp?

TheMajor
I built Rod Elliots P27. The 100 W guitar amp. Superb clean sound IMO.