Small Bear Electro Assortment

stringfellow_Hawke
So, I picked up the electrolytic assortment from smallbear assuming that they would be higher quality caps than I was getting from tayda......no such luck. I don't have them sitting in front of me at the moment, but at least half of the values are the same chong caps you get from tayda and they are definitely noisy in the D*A*M Fuzzrong I built the other day. So, anyone else that's new to the hobby and looking to stock up, you might want to look elsewhere. Or if you're ok with the cheaper caps just for testing out circuits, you can probably just go straight to tayda or ebay and get them cheaper.

Re: Small Bear Electro Assortment

induction
I doubt it's the caps that are making your fuzz pedal noisy.

Re: Small Bear Electro Assortment

stringfellow_Hawke
hmmm...I could have sworn that I read somewhere that cheap electrolytics could be a cause of a noisy pedal. I'm new to this though, and I'm trying to absorb a lot of information. If not the caps, what do you think might be the cause? It's not unbearable, but there's definitely noticeable background noise when I'm not playing and it's definitely specific to the two pedals I put together using the chong caps.

Re: Small Bear Electro Assortment

peavey_xxl
what kind of noise are we talking about here?

You can get noise from improper grounding example would be from ground loops.  I highly suggest using star grounding. But that is just my opinion.

Re: Small Bear Electro Assortment

stringfellow_Hawke
The noise is not so much a hiss, but more of a hum. I'm headed out for the day, but I suppose I could post some pictures if you don't mind taking a look. I'm fairly confident that I don't have a ground loop, but then again I am new to this, so I definitely could be missing something.

Re: Small Bear Electro Assortment

induction
The fuzzrong is in the fuzz face family of two-transistor fuzzes.  These are notoriously susceptible to AC hum.  The electro in this circuit is intended to reduce AC hum by bleeding it to ground, which works well in many circuits, but not in this one.

If this is the case, you have two options for quiet operation: 1. Use a battery, 2. Use a regulated 9V adapter.