Small doomy fuzz

fx-fidden
Hello everybody.
I started to build small effect in 1590A small box: overdrive, distortion, etc... Now I would like to build a modern high gain doomy fuzz.
Of course the layout has to be small enough.

I'm considering
- Mr. Black Doom Stick II.
- Dunwich Amps Cthulhu Fuzz
- Black Art Toneworks Ritual, maybe has less gain?

- D*A*M Meathead
The Deluxe sounds to me weird in the demo I find. The Dark Meathead has simply the input cap bigger for more bass.
I found this rare version, too, Slowmatic, that sounds very good and doomy:

I think it's pretty the same of the other Meathead version. The ceramic caps are not ceramic, the output I think it's a 1uF (I read on it 1k63). Q1 is 2N3904 adn Q2 is BC107. But I see an extra resistor on the footswitch, that I cannot see that in other Meathead version, so I don't know what does this mean. Something about the battery? It's linked to the ground? I don't know.

All these with just the Volume knob, but I would like at least a gain control, maybe a Pre-Gain, if these clean up well.

Other fuzz pedal?
I build pedals

Re: Small doomy fuzz

Silver Blues
Yep looks like just film, electrolytic and polystyrene caps. There's a lot of debate about cap materials and tone (we don't have to get into that), but that's probably not going to get you a significant change vs. the normal Meathead.

That extra resistor is probably just the CLR for the indicator LED. You can definitely add a pregain knob as a voltage divider (or even just an inline rheostat) at the input, if you like.

Re: Small doomy fuzz

fx-fidden
I forgot the CLR! Maybe other meathead has it on the footswitch, sometime maybe in other spot.

About this Meathead circuit it's werid the little red cap, labelled 1k, 1uF I guess, though it's in a small box. And even if it really is 1uF it can't add any bass more than stock 22nF like in others Meathead version.
The big red cap, the iput cap, is labelled simple "10", I can see well in other picture. It could be 10nF, like the stock Meathead.
At a first sight the reseistor should be the same of the original schematic, too.

The Input cap makes the real difference in gain and low end, I expect.

Meathead beside, are there any other simple doom fuzz?
I build pedals

Re: Small doomy fuzz

spacefuzz74
I built this for a friend a while back, and it sounds great and very heavy for such a small circuit.  Increase the value of the 220uF for more bass, I believe...I think I used a 470uF.

It's a "Bass Fuzz", but it sounds fantastic on guitar.

Re: Small doomy fuzz

fx-fidden
Thanks.
I built years ago a version of the Bazz Fuss, one of my first pedal, so I want to try a thing a bit different.
I build pedals

Re: Small doomy fuzz

fx-fidden
I have on breadboard the DAM Meathead. It wasn't so aggressive with the Stratocaster how I expected. But with the PRS is much better. I think I'm going to build my modded version of it.

I'll put on breadboard the Doom Stick II, too.
I build pedals