Sockets vs Solder

I've recently seen a post at another forum where the opinion was expressed that you should always solder transistors and ICs to your circuit boards versus using sockets.  The reasoning was that socket connections are a source of noise and the components may eventually come loose/fail over time.

My own experience is that I always use sockets for transistors and ICs so as not to fry them during construction and to permit some substitution of components (especially JFETs and ICs) later on if desired.  But I agree that it would be good to secure the components somehow to prevent problems down the road.  I should note that the IC sockets I use hold the IC very securely and I don't think would be a problem under normal use.

So the question for the group is...does anyone here solder their transistors/ICs directly to vero or PCB?  I was thinking that you could probably put a touch of solder on the legs of a transistor while in a socket for security.  How about those electrically conductive "wire glue" products Radio Shack sells?  I don't think that the socket itself should be a source of noise or a poor connection point provided it is soldered well to the vero/PCB.

Re: Sockets vs Solder

Any leaf spring or simple insertion type of connection could always be a source of noise, but of course that doesn't mean it definitely will be, or is the most likely result.  Assuming quality components it's no worse a physical connection than cable into input socket or out to amp.

Yes, soldering would always be preferable in terms of having that solid connection, but the advantages of being able to try other transistors or opamps will always be a more important consideration to me.  Plus you have the advantage of never having to worry about over-heated transistors or opamps being a source of noise.

I think if I were building a circuit commercially with set components that weren't going to change, then I'd probably solder in those circumstances too, but personally I can't think of a single thing I've ever built where I believe sockets were responsible for any excess noise, and the proof of the pudding to me is always in the eating.

Re: Sockets vs Solder

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
i always use sockets for both ic's and transistors when i build something for the first time. but there are some cases that i wanted to build an sho for example which i've build many times, so i solder the transistor directly on the board cause i already have the voltages and debugging would be really easy. i've soldered a couple of ic's too for the theremin i've build if i can remember right..(luckily with no problems)
anyway...i don't have a great experience though, so i wouldn't be the one to answer about the noise!!!!
(and i like noise...hehe!! )
and down the line...i would never solder a j-fet or a germanium transistor. expensive and hard to find for me...a 2n3906 maybe...!!!

Re: Sockets vs Solder

The SHO is probably one I would always use a socket for even though they can be made with a consistent response, simply because mosfets can be so susceptible to static so it makes them easy to replace.
KT

Re: Sockets vs Solder

KT
I always socket ICs and trans. Only once I ended up soldering the trannies and that was in my maestro brass master built. Before I soldered them in I had plopping noises when I hit the enclosure. Seems like the trannies moved a little bit in their sockets. Diodes I like to socket if possible. But sometimes they are to thin and make band contacts in the sockets.

Re: Sockets vs Solder

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
wow!i didn't knew that mark! i always use 2n7000 and never had a problem...anyway i'll have this in mind...!!!luck won't be in my side all the time!

Re: Sockets vs Solder

JaviCAP
I've never had  any problem with IC sockets. The connection is tight, and it even gets sometimes hard to take off the IC from the socket, so, I still soderIC sockets with no worries.

But if we talk about trannies, many times, the pins are too tiny or soft (or both), so, when you swap the trannie 2-3 times, they become really loose on the socket. So, from some time ago, I check the board with trannies socket, and once I've found a good set,  I remove them, and solder directly the trannies to the board. On vero they are really easy to unsolder if you need to, but on double side pcb it's a real PITA.

So, on my IMO, trannies are better soldered that socketed (once you have the definitive set).

J.

Re: Sockets vs Solder

Frank_NH
I agree that the transistor sockets do not grip the leads well enough sometimes, especially if you insert and remove the leads multiple times.  Maybe tinning the ends of the transistor leads would help, making them thicker and allowing them to hold better.

I suppose we can think of transistors and ICs like tubes.  No one ever suggests soldering tubes into a tube amp circuit board!  Of course, I hope my transistors/ICs last longer than your average tube...

Re: Sockets vs Solder

negativefx
After I test the pedal, I bend the trannies to one side and solder them into the sockets.  It is quick, and also easy to desolder if I need to replace them.

Re: Sockets vs Solder

Frank_NH
Negativefx:

So just a dot of solder at the junction where the trannie lead enters the socket?  I'm going to try this out - if it works I'll make it part of the boxing process, since I would assume that nothing would change after the effect is in its enclosure.

Re: Sockets vs Solder

dexxyy
I've never known an ic to fall out it's socket, in fact they can be a complete bastard to prise out at times. Trannies can be a different matter, once I am happy with a trannie selection I will tack solder 1 leg to the socket just to keep it in place. I've never had contact issues with a trannie in a socket, but I' had the odd 1 fall out, tacking 1leg stops it falling out?
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: Sockets vs Solder

Yep I've soldered the transistors into the sockets as described and it works fine. I don't really like it though. I think it's more professional to either desolder the socket and solder the transistor straight to the board or test your transistors on a special test board or breadboard

Btw - never had a problem with Si transistors in sockets. Some germanium transistors are relatively large and heavy though so they can work their way out of a socket eventually. It's usually only a problem if you leave the transistor leads long and bend it over (which kinda looks like shit with a socket anyways)

Definitely never had a problem with IC sockets. I socket all of my ICs, even charge pump ICs because if someone plugs in the wrong supply and fries the pump that makes it easy to repair

Re: Sockets vs Solder

I too ways use sockets. Not just because I can easily swap out and try other types, but because I find that these are the parts that seem to fail more often then things like caps and resistors, so in the event I NEED to change an IC or transistor I can do so without disturbing the rest of the board.

Plus, if I find them too loose I do the dan of solder trick or do a tiny bend on the legs to hold them in place.

Re: Sockets vs Solder

dbat69
I use sockets for all sorts of components.  Never had a problem with IC sockets, they can be so good it is a struggle to get the IC out without bending the legs on removal (I really should invest in one of those IC extraction tools)

For transistors, I always use sockets.  Once I've decided on a particular transistor, I sometimes put a small blob of solder on one of the legs to secure it, same with diodes etc.

I don't sell pedals so I'm the only one who is bothered by the internals of my pedals although I do like to make them as good as possible and spend a lot of time getting the wiring just right.

Re: Sockets vs Solder

Hey dbat. My apologies if this is old news to you, but you shouldn't need to buy any IC extraction tool to easily get them out of the sockets without bending legs. Just take a flathead screwdriver or knife or something thin and flat and stick it under the IC. Use a little leverage to lift the IC up. You may have to lift part way from one side, then the rest from the opposite side to keep it from tilting too far and bending the legs

Re: Sockets vs Solder

dbat69
Thanks Travis, and no apologies needed  Advice is always taken with the greatest of respect and gratitude, that is how we learn and help others.

I use that method when I can (or long nosed pliers), but sometimes component placement makes the screwdriver method awkward.  I just get a bit OCD at times about the stupid little things that don't really matter that much   I also like tools

Re: Sockets vs Solder

negativefx
Yep, a drop of solder where the tranny lead meets the socket.  I don't do this for ICs because I have to pry them out even without solder, but those socket strips don't seem to hold anywhere near as well.  There are times whenthe tranny is surrounded by other components like radial elec caps and I can't bend the tranny to get the solder in... I just leave those and blob some hot glue over the tops of the components to hold them in place.  If its a pedal for myself, I don't bother with the glue.

Re: Sockets vs Solder

Hey dbat. I have an extra IC extraction tool, I can send it over with the Christmas gifts, whenever they get here. I should probably call them and find out what's taking so long. Also, the move is going ok. I have shit everywhere and just trying to get settled, still got to setup the lab, I NEED to build something, mainly the bbbod silver, john, and I were working on. Soooo much to do.

Re: Sockets vs Solder

negativefx
I should mention that I drop a dab of flux into each socket too.  I use rosin core solder but the extra drop of flux really helps.  I use MG Chemical Rosin Flux in a Plato Pos-a-loc FD-2 needled flux bottle.  I think I got them from tube depot but I'm sure they're on amazon or fleabay.  Its really helpful for those stubborn tayda 3dpts and 1/4" jacks that are for some reason immune to rosin core solder.

Re: Sockets vs Solder

dbat69
Thanks Rocket, just let me know what you want for it.  I'm waiting for the transistors to arrive (should be in day or two) and then they will be posted out - just in time for you to have your lab all sorted.  Hope its not getting too stressful sorting everything out, I'm sure the iron will be hot very soon