[Solved] Urgent : problem with a triple overdrive, need help guys

[Solved] Urgent : problem with a triple overdrive, need help guys

alltrax74
This post was updated on .
I built this pedal for someone this week-end : it's a triple overdrive in an enclosure wired as following :
Input --> Vemuram Jan Ray --> Rocket Animal (without snarl switch) --> Zendrive
The Zendrive is physically positionned in the middle :

It worked at first run and sounds awesome.
Then for some reason that I can't figure, it started to have problems : randomly no sound, or very low level (almost not audible), then sound is back, sometime no sound even with the 3 pedal bypassed.
Sometimes it occurs when pressing on a switch, sometimes not.
I really don't understand what happens, i'm pretty sure all 3 circuits are ok.

So here is a link to a high resolution pic of the guts.
Can some of you guys take some time to try to figure out what could be the problem ?
Thanks !
Tri-Od

Re: Urgent : problem with a triple overdrive, need help guys

induction
I can't see the problem in the picture, but it sounds like either a loose ground connection, or an intermittent grounding of the signal wire. I would look for loose/dodgy solder connections or solder bridges near the input and output jacks. If the problem happens even in bypass, it's probably not related to the circuits themselves.

I'd also take a close look at that bare wire connection under the power jack.

Re: Urgent : problem with a triple overdrive, need help guys

alltrax74
Thanks Induction
Yesterday evening I checked all my solders (3pdts, in and out, power jack), I reflowed a few but still have the problem.
It occurs only with the 2 first circuits (JR and Animal), no problem with the Zendrive which is at the end.
So sometimes it's no sound at all, and sometimes I can hear the normal sound of the effect, but at very low level, barely non audible.
When the problem occurs (most of the time when switching on/off an effect, but not always), if I lift a little the corner of the enclosure and let it drop on the carpet, the sound comes back.

So I guess it has to do with a mechanical problem. FS ?
This evening I'll replace the 3pdt of the animal

Re: Urgent : problem with a triple overdrive, need help guys

cylens
I had the exact same problem with a previous build. I had a small piece of solder wandering between the lugs of the 3pdt switch... so sometimes there was sound when effect ON, sometimes no sound in bypass... it was driving me crazy... I would check for continuity between the 3PDT lugs when a problem occurs: if there's a problem when everything is bypassed, it's definitely related to either one of the 3PDTs or jacks.

good luck on this one!

Re: Urgent : problem with a triple overdrive, need help guys

alltrax74
Ok so I finally got it to work normally.
The bottom right corner lug of the center 3pdt was not well soldered.
Actually it was very hard to see, I controled all my solders under a wen and the joint was nice and shiny, but the solid wire was not welded
I pulled hard on all of them and this one stayed in my hand

Re: Urgent : problem with a triple overdrive, need help guys

Freppo
Great you got it working!
Those things happen all the time.

What kind of enclosure is that and where did you get it?
I've been looking around for something big..

/ Fredrik
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Urgent : problem with a triple overdrive, need help guys

alltrax74

Re: Urgent : problem with a triple overdrive, need help guys

Vince
Are you in the UK. Freppo? if so, some big boxes here

http://www.jprelec.co.uk/store.asp/c=528/Eddystone-IP54-Diecast-Aluminium-Boxes