Spaceman Sputnik Fuzz

elbeeuk

Re: Spaceman Sputnik Fuzz

elbeeuk

Re: Spaceman Sputnik Fuzz

jubal81
Looks like it could be a variation on the MK3 Tonebender. Spotted a Ge diode on the bottom board.

Russian transistors and trim pots. Always found trim pots to be very noisy in this application.

Re: Spaceman Sputnik Fuzz

Emil
Another gutshot is available via this FSB-thread: http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=23776&p=233104&hilit=+sputnik#p233104

Some more detailed pictures of the board would be needed for a trace though.

Re: Spaceman Sputnik Fuzz

anders
Master Dino tracing a Sputnik II at the moment over a DIYSB
LINK
Looks very interesting if you ask me.

Re: Spaceman Sputnik Fuzz

digi2t
"Master"??? Me thinks not! I stand on the shoulders of giants.

The schematic is pretty well what it's going to be. What is drawn is what I have on the breadboard, and it performs pretty much like the original. I haven't tried any Russian transistors yet, but the 2SB172's are pretty good here. As a rule, Russian transistors that have the casing bonded to the collector (as is the case here) tend to be a bit noisier. I'm debating NOT using Russian transistors, in favor of the 2SB172's. Generally, Japanese transistors tend to have low leakage rates, and are much quieter.

Fuzz-wise, this thing is off the hook. Covers a boatload of sonic territory, and when you hit the DRIFT switch, total madness. Reminds me a lot of Gagan's Skyripper.

Going to try for a video shoot tomorrow.

Re: Spaceman Sputnik Fuzz

Dino, while you stand on the shoulder of giants, and believe me you've earned joining the ranks of masters. Super stoked to see you come over here. I didn't realize you finished the schematic for this one, and will get started on the vero.

Re: Spaceman Sputnik Fuzz

digi2t
Latest schematic and video of the breadboard test has been posted over at diysb.

I will update the schematic with the transistor data, and an optional diode polarity switch, tonight.

As for the switch, if you want to keep along with the Spaceman shtick, you can label it something like "Asynchronous" and "Geosynchronous", or something ketchy like that.

Re: Spaceman Sputnik Fuzz

digi2t
Vero is posted over at diysb. Not verified, so let me know if there's anything out of sorts, and I'll correct it.

Going to start building in the next couple of days.

Re: Spaceman Sputnik Fuzz

digi2t
My vero is now VERIFIED. Last versions, with and without diode reversing switch are posted over at diysb, along with some pics of my build. I'll be shooting a video tonight.