Stackable Crossovers

pyreweb
Hello,

I have been looking at this crossover circuit I found online somewhere for an SX21 Tiny 2-Way Crossover. I am wondering if I can build three and connect the second and third in series with each output of the first, so the low output of the first is divided into a further high and low, and the same with the high output of the first.

As far as I can see, this should create a 4-band crossover system, allowing me to create a functional multiband limiter or compressor. Is there any detail I have overlooked that may render this idea impractical or impossible?

Crossover_-_IS_SX21.pdf

The schematic is a single page PDF, which I have attempted to upload here.

Many thanks,

Pyre

Re: Stackable Crossovers

motterpaul
I'm surprised no one has answered this. I think it makes more sense to look for a 3-way or 4-way crossover schematic rather than using separate 2-way crossovers connected together. There is no need to replicate everything - all you need is an expanded frequency divider section so you can get outputs for bass, midrange & treble, etc.

FYI - most crossovers in my experience are three-way, not 4-way. I am not sure why you would want a 4-way crossover.

Re: Stackable Crossovers

pyreweb
Hello, thank you for the reply. I chose a four-way crossover as I have a multiband limiter plugin that has four bands, and so I assumed that that was the usual number. I think however that the plugin is designed for mastering and quite advanced mixing techniques, so it would be largely unused on a bass compressor. Also I have since looked at bass guitar recordings on frequency analysers and noticed that they rarely have any material higher than 3.5 KHz. So a three-way crossover would most probably suffice for the job.

It would certainly be easier for me to convert the schematic to a three-way crossover rather than building multiple units, but I do not yet know enough about following schematics to pinpoint the frequency divider section. Would you mind shading the section on the schematic image please, so I know which area to duplicate?

Many thanks.