Stereo input jack???

PMowdes

I've noticed in a few places on here and free stomp boxes that stereo input jacks are used.

I've been using mono jacks, is this an issue?? the off board guide shows a mono input.

Re: Stereo input jack???

induction
Stereo input jacks are useful for disconnecting the battery when you unplug the input cable. If you don't use batteries (or are willing to either unplug the pedal input when you're done playing or waste a lot of batteries), then mono jacks are fine.

Re: Stereo input jack???

Muadzin
As induction said, the only reason to use stereo jacks is to save battery life. And tradition. Because it was always done that way (to save battery life). As I realized after coming to the discovery I was still using stereo jacks years after I stopped using battery snaps as I never use batteries for my pedals.

On the other hand boxed stereo jacks are dirt cheap on Tayda and they don't have mono boxed jacks so I still wire the input jack to only pass ground when a jack is inside. Traditionally stupid? Perhaps. Then again I hate too many wires soldered to a single lug so this saves the ground lug from becoming a little too crowded.