Suggestion Needed

so from my last order with bitcheslovemyswitchs, great vendor btw especially if you're in the US, i decided to buy some enclosures i don't have; 1790ns and 1590dd. now i'm not sure what to put in them.

so i ask to all of you guys in the community, what should i build for them? mind you i figure both will house multiple effects, so nothing silly like an Electra or the community created Germanium Giant, cause that's just silly and i know someone will suggest that. lol. also, i'm thinking about doing the highly suggested and regarded timmy/zendrive combo with an order switch in a 1590b.

Re: Suggestion Needed

Beaker
My only attempt at a1590dd build so far. It's a Shin-Ei double, the FY2 Companion fuzz, and the FY6 Superfuzz in one enclosure. This went to my son in Australia.

Re: Suggestion Needed

AC_FX
A Centaur and an 808 in one box.  Call it the "can't-we-all-just-get-along."

Re: Suggestion Needed

Frank_NH
My vote would be to design a sensible multi-effect unit, with two or more 3PDT switches for activating the effects.  Visual Sound (among others) makes this type of multiple effect pedal e.g. the H2O chorus-delay.  The question for you would be - what make sense for your guitar playing setup?  My choices would be:

* delay + chorus
* tremolo + chorus
* reverb + delay
* distortion + fuzz
* overdrive + boost

Whether these effects can be cascaded into each other or switched on individually would be a design decision and depend on the circuits themselves.  You could perhaps provide for both options.

In examining my own guitar setup and playing, here's how I use my effects:

* Reverb - on all the time at a low level
* Delay - on for a song that needs it, but off for others
* Tremolo - don't use it, but would use it like a delay
* Chorus - may switch this on for an entire song, or on an off as needed in a song
* Boost - switch on and off during songs for leads, emphasis
* Overdrive - mild overdrive for Blues, strong overdrive for classic rock - on for entire song, usually
* Distortion - use for high gain songs, usually on all the time but could be switched on and off
* Fuzz - rarely used but on for an entire song

The point here is that depending on how often you activate a given effect may determine which ones you package together.

One more thing - I set the pedal controls before I start a gig and DON'T touch them afterwards.  Nothing is more distracting than trying to reach down and fiddle/tweak your controls!  Hence, pedals where you can select between two settings with footswitches (for example, boost + overdrive pedals) can be very handy for gigging.  The larger enclosures can accommodate that kind of switching easily.

Re: Suggestion Needed

Hmm the duality Shin-Ei sounds like a recipe for insane fuzz, and I do like that "can't we all get along?" especially since i haven't built a klone yet nor a tubescreamer, so this could be the time I build both. I know it's got to suit my playing style and what not, but both these enclosures are big and the 1790ns is massive, like 3-5 effects can go in there massive, so I'm just seeing what ideas people had.

I've been thinking that the last effect in the 1790ns I'm pouting in a delay, thinking the deep blue with tails, so it's just the rest to figure out. Maybe make it psyc rock rock in a box. There are sooooooo many options it's hard to make a decision. Which is why I ask for everyone's opinion, I mean I do trust peoples judgement on here.

Re: Suggestion Needed

JaviCAP
Administrator
The 1590XX (1790NS) is the one I used for my last Meatball.... and I think is the smaller enclosure you can use if you want a real Meatball: all rotaries, all pots, and all jacks, including the Loop and external  pedal ones.

J.

Re: Suggestion Needed

Heath
It might not be the fanciest idea, but I plan on making a dual Reverb\Tremolo pedal with order switching.

Here are my thoughts...

My main tube amp does Reverb but not Tremolo, so I can always add tremolo via a pedal, but it's always tremolo -> reverb -> out.

reverb -> tremolo -> out gets some stunning sounds that I can't get without adding a reverb pedal before a tremolo pedal, so why not box them together? :p

Also, I've found that the Belton brick based reverb pedal I built (Earthquaker Devices Ghost Echo) actually sounds awesome stacked with my amps reverb, so it's win-win.

This PGS Andy demo made me a believer (he talks about this starting at 2:05 and WOW!):

I am a Tremolo/Vibe junkie.