Supa Tone (kinda)

HamishR
I've been building various Big Muffs lately and love the Skreddy range.  So when I saw that the Skreddy Supa Tone was based on the Colorsound Supa Tonebender of '73 I got interested in seeing how close i could get.  Found a schematic online which was apparently a Supa Tone ver.1 and used Rocket88's layout of the Colorsound to build it.  So I'm not 100% certain it sounds exactly like the Skreddy but it sounds great anyway.

I used some old BC183L transistors like Skreddy - hfe around 250-270.  The pinout on these is E-C-B so I had to twist the legs but something like 2N2222A should work with this pinout layout.  Skreddy mention that low-gainers sound better so that's what I used.  I hope this is useful to somebody.

Re: Supa Tone (kinda)

HamishR
BTW this verified by me!  I really like this pedal.  Highly recommended.

Re: Supa Tone (kinda)

traktop
I´ve just checked some youtube clips, and it sounds really good.
The one I saw had a tone switch. I thought it was for tone bypass, but the tone pot seemed to work on both switch possitions.
Do you know what it does?
Cheers, Gilberto.

Re: Supa Tone (kinda)

HamishR
It's a mids switch.  I forgot but I always make the pedal as if the mid boost is engaged.  If you look at the Big Muff layouts where IVIark has added a mid boost switch it's the same thing.  So on my layout above the 8n2 cap was originally a 4n7 with a 4n7 on the switch which would have made around 9n4 as a mid cap.  I used an 8n2 to approximate this as i always leave it on boost anyway.  But it wouldn't be difficult to add the switch.

The newest Skreddy Supa Tone may be different.

Re: Supa Tone (kinda)

I used to have a Skreddy Supa Tone and I really regret selling it. It was such a good pedal, really low noise for a Muff and just sounded incredible. Love it on bass and guitar

The switch is a mid switch which goes from “flat” to stock (scoop)

Man I want my old one back!!

Re: Supa Tone (kinda)

HamishR
Well Skreddy are doing a newer version now which is (obviously) supposed to be even better.  I must say that having built this one I really want to try the Skreddy!  The more I play this one the more I like it.  It's a lot like a Muff but with more attack.  And mine is low noise too.  I suspect all those 100ohm resistors help.

Re: Supa Tone (kinda)

HamishR
This post was updated on .

Here is a layout I did specifically for BC183Ls.  I haven't built this yet so I guess it's not verified.  I used the previous layout with BC183L pins bent around.

<Edit>  I have now verified this layout - I had one cut in the wrong place so I fixed the diagram - it's good to go now.  Somebody other than me should build this! It's really that good.