Supersonic Fuzz Gun... No Oscillation

squirrels
I built the Supersonic Fuzz Gun using two NTE287 (MPSA06) and an NTE48 (BC517) and it was extremely gated, then the collector leg on NTE48 broke. I swapped in an MPSA13 which solved the gating problem was gone but so was the ossciltion mode. Any ideas or suggestions on substitute transistors that would give me a little gate and fix the ossciltion?

Re: Supersonic Fuzz Gun... No Oscillation

Beaker
I got good results using 2N5089 for Q1 and Q2, and 2N5306 for Q3. I did not try any other substitutes. I built it on one of Fuzzdog's PCBs, and just went with his recommendations.

Gated really strongly, and oscillated like crazy.

Re: Supersonic Fuzz Gun... No Oscillation

squirrels
Thanks. I'll have to try those out. I should have ordered those too.

Re: Supersonic Fuzz Gun... No Oscillation

squirrels
I was able to find a pair of 2N5089s to try with the MPSA13. Too gated for my liking. I did drop a 2N4401 in Q2 and it helped. I still want to try two 2N5089s and the 2N5306. Thanks.

Re: Supersonic Fuzz Gun... No Oscillation

Marbles
I tried the transistors in the layout as well. (2x2N5089 and 2N5306).

Sounds like the demo's and cool, but: it does sound gated on a lot of settings though. After building it, I listened to some demo's again and realised that the demo's can sound pretty gated too on a lot of settings.

I wanted to love it more..

Re: Supersonic Fuzz Gun... No Oscillation

squirrels
The gating I don't mind, it's the oscillation mode not being useable.  I'll have to try a 2N5306 in Q3 and hope it helps. The gate mode works pretty well with a 2N5089 and 2N4401, gated but not too gated.

I used a single 4401 in my Harmonic Transformer clone (don't remember which spot, it's crammed in a 1590a and wrapped in tape) and that eased the gating to where it was still very Velcro type fuzz but worked well.

Re: Supersonic Fuzz Gun... No Oscillation

squirrels
The 2N5089 and 2N5306 combo are extremely gated and unusable and it only motorboat end in osscilation mode.  2N5088's didn't work at all. I wound up with a 2N5089 and MPSA06 in Q1 and Q2 with a 2N5306 in Q3. The gating is very mild but present... extremely useable and the oscillation in gated too but in a good way. I read on the main page that 2N5088s worked well but I couldn't get any sound using them at all.  I'm happy with the results though. Thanks.