Supro Velvet Fuzz

MAO

Supro Velvet Fuzz

MAO
This post was updated on .
What is the Supro Velvet Fuzz?

Imagine this:

During the recording of Led Zeppelin, Jimi stops by with his favorite Strat and Fuzz Face. He's surprised by the tone coming out of Page's little Supro amp. That's the SUPRO setting. Jimi then plugs into Page's Supro, kicks on his Fuzz Face and records a couple of guest tracks with the Zep boys. That's the TIGHT fuzz setting. After a day of recording (and partying), they decide to go out on the lawn, or maybe the rooftop, and play the new album live with their guest. Page again offers up the Supro to Jimi, who now has the Supro dimed, his Fuzz Face dimed out as well with the battery slightly drained. The little Supro is on the verge of meltdown (or maybe Jimi lit it on fire), that's the BIG fuzz setting.

Well kinda...

What is it really?

The 18v ROG Supreaux Deux with a switchable 9v Wampler Velvet Fuzz front end.

Layout Notes:
I built mine in a 125B with 2 3PDT toggles. I wired the 3PDT toggles so with both toggles up, the fuzz inputs are both grounded. But a 1590BB with the Supro/Fuzz switch as a 2nd stomp is probably a good option.  (If using a 1590BB, I'd probably use a 4PDT stomp so when in Supro-only mode I could ground both fuzz inputs regardless of the Fuzz toggle position)

As for the starred (*) components:
The 10k* and vertical 4n7* are optional noise reduction for the LM386. It's a good compromise of hiss reduction in the Tight setting without killing the fuzz to much. I would suggest socketing those two and checking it out with and without them. I found I needed these in my Velvet Fuzz clone due to excessive hiss when engaged, but they were not necessary in this Supro Fuzz. (If using a 1590BB, maybe add a hiss reduction switch option?)

The horizontal 4n7* can be increased to 10n for hiss reduction in the Big setting. Again, I found this necessary in my Velvet Fuzz clone, but not needed in this Supro Fuzz. I would suggest socketing this cap and trying both values. (If using a 1590BB, maybe add a hiss reduction switch option?)

The 1n5* can be increased to alter/darken the Tone control's response/range. It's a subtle tone control with 1n5. I left it as is to be true to the Supro's tone control.

Rather than the suggested "Fat" toggle switch, I opted for a "blending" Bottom control. The 2n2* and 10n* set the high and low end limits of the Bottom Control. For more treble/presence, lower the 2n2. Increase the 10n for more bass/thump,

I increased the 20k* to 24k to get 4.5v on the 2n5089's collector. I would suggest socketing this resistor in case you want to re-bias the 2n5089. Mine had biased at 5.3v with the 20k resistor.

I also used 20k trimmers instead of two 10k trimmers, the 50k trimmer was fine as is. (This allowed biasing either 2n5457 or J201s in the Q1 and Q3 positions)

Using J201s for Q1, Q2 and Q3 greatly increases the gain, fuzz and sustain. Wish there was an easy way to switch between the two as both setups sound good. Guess I need to build a low gain and a high gain version.

Verified by me
Updated Text: Q2 is J201, Q1 & Q3 are 2n5457  (Try J201s for all 3!)

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Supro Velvet Fuzz

notnews
This post was updated on .
MAO.. you're always up to the craziest things. This looks incredible! Thanks for taking the time to work out the vero and write up a description.

I'd love to hear a demo if you have the ability to record something that shows what this thing is capable of.

sorry if it's an obvious question.. what is meant by "rotate vero counter-clockwise"? The copper strips are hotizontal, did you rotate it 180 degrees?
MAO

Re: Supro Velvet Fuzz

MAO

I'm sorry, I literally shipped the pedal out this afternoon. I liked it enough though, I'm sure I'll make another one for myself. I have a few more to finish up first, but I'll keep you posted.

As for the sound, check out the Jon Patton's Supreaux Deux Youtube Video for the Supro sound. With the fuzz circuits engaged, it sounds more mid-rangy and brighter than the Velvet Fuzz.

I forgot to mention, using J201s for Q1 and Q3 greatly increases the gain and fuzz effect with endless sustain. I wish I could have designed an easy way to switch between the two as I like the settings with the original 2n5457s too.

The vero was designed to be rotated 90 degrees CCW when installing into a 125b to keep the external wiring shortened.   Take a look at the gut shot and you'll see how I mounted the vero "sideways"
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Supro Velvet Fuzz

Muadzin
Does this mean there's finally a decent vero layout for the Velvet Fuzz out there? I could never really find one and I'd love to have one. They all seem to be with mods I couldn't care less about. I ended up with a vero layout for the fuzz section into a plexi drive pcb.
MAO

Re: Supro Velvet Fuzz

MAO
I did design a slightly modified Velvet Fuzz vero that is verified.

It runs the "Plexi" at 18v and the fuzz circuits at 9v.

The stock pedal was a bit to dark for my tastes, so I added a "bottom" pot to dial in the original Plexi's  470p and 2n2 "bass toggle" caps rather than being locked in to the Velvet Fuzz's 2n2 cap. I also increased the tone pot to 50k to dial in a bit more bite.

I had also designed a stock Velvet Fuzz vero, but haven't verified it.

Let me know if interested in either and I'll post it when I get home.

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Supro Velvet Fuzz

Muadzin
Both would be welcome. As long as it can fit into a 125B with top mounts I'm happy.