Surface Mount UK Effect Repairers come on in :)

Surface Mount UK Effect Repairers come on in :)

I'm finally resigning myself to the fact that my eyes are no longer good enough, nor my arm steady enough to mess around with surface mount components, at least when it comes to attempting to repair something reasonably valuable, and not just something purely DIY.

So I bought an Atomic Ampli FireBox off eBay which someone had put an incorrect polarity power supply into.  I was gambling that it would have had simple diode reverse polarity protection and taking out the burnt diode would have let the supply flow again.  On opening the pedal it was apparent that the guy had already tried this himself because the diode had already been removed and I could see a few soldering iron burns on the board around the incoming power components.  As per the following pics.

You can see the diode damage at the bottom right

There is only burnt pads around the protection diode so I'm hoping everything else around there is fine and the diode can just be replaced, or even bypassed to bring it back to life.

But these things are bloody tiny and as per the above my eyes and arm don't give me confidence that I can do it without risking damage elsewhere.

So if any of your are comfortable with surface mount fault finding and replacement then you can make some money.  Preferably in the UK just to keep things local and shipping reasonable.

Cheers
Mark

Re: Surface Mount UK Effect Repairers come on in :)

Oh and I tried to get a schematic off Atomic Amps but they wouldn't send it me, even just the power section.  Gits.

Re: Surface Mount UK Effect Repairers come on in :)

PMowdes
Have a look here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1677419455833872/

This lot make modular synths which are pretty much all smd.  You might find someone who  can help.  I did some PCBs for them recently so perhaps I might be able to call in a favour

Re: Surface Mount UK Effect Repairers come on in :)

If I were in the UK I would totally do this for you!!

If you don’t find anyone over there, feel free to contact me (I’m in California)

Re: Surface Mount UK Effect Repairers come on in :)

PMowdes wrote
This lot make modular synths which are pretty much all smd.  You might find someone who  can help.  I did some PCBs for them recently so perhaps I might be able to call in a favour
Well if you know someone who could do it, especially the fault finding just in case it isn't as simple as it should be, then that would be fantastic.  Could you have a word and see if anyone is up for it?

Cheers matey

Re: Surface Mount UK Effect Repairers come on in :)

Travis wrote
Thanks mate, I'll see how I get on.  It'll cost me in postage but it may not be too bad.  I'll check it out if I can't find anyone local.

Re: Surface Mount UK Effect Repairers come on in :)

PMowdes

Mark, shoot me a PM with a bit as much detail as you can.  I'll ask around and see if I can find anyone willing to help.  Cheers  Phil

Re: Surface Mount UK Effect Repairers come on in :)

Muadzin
I hate SMD. It's not that through hole is better, but everything is freaking tiny as its meant to build pcb's more cheaply and above all its not meant to be repairable. If you're really really good maybe you can, but above all they just want you to throw away a broken device and buy a new one.

Re: Surface Mount UK Effect Repairers come on in :)

Ed Nice
Me too. Without even trying! I bought some SMD transistors and mounting boards for something after reading something on here about using them. I didn't even bother taking them out of the plastic bag. Even with my +3 readers, a loupe, a spotlight and ten minutes staring until I was shooting rays out of my eyes like Non from Superman II, I still couldn't see enough to be able to do it. I won't even mention my sausage fingers... :)

Good luck IvIark. I've started to look out for broken amps, pedals and random electronic flotsam with which to [in my case] practice diagnosis. Anything with SMD's is sadly added to my growing 'Staten Island' of personal angry pixie based fail. :(

Thanks Phil, I've emailed you

Re: Surface Mount UK Effect Repairers come on in :)

PMowdes
IvIark wrote
PMowdes wrote
Mark, shoot me a PM with a bit as much detail as you can.  I'll ask around and see if I can find anyone willing to help.  Cheers  Phil
Thanks Phil, I've emailed you
Mark,

I haven't received an email.  can you send it to pmoulder78@hotmail.com directly, I don't seem to get PM messages from the site.