Swapping transistors in sockets

CthulhuOO7
This may be common sense, but I don't know.

I have my transistors socketed. Can I hot swap when trying others (different values, etc)? Do I need to have the battery unplugged? Do I need the input/output plugs out? Some variation?

Thanks!

Re: Swapping transistors in sockets

Beaker
Yes you can, but best to do it at low volume, and be prepared for some loud pops and bangs. It shouldn't do any harm. I have wired a kill switch into my test box for just this purpose, as the noise when swapping was doing my head in.

I tend to line up my alternative candidates next to the pedal, orientated the right way round for the sockets. I stick the legs into a strip of Blu tac on a piece of card, with the names of the transistors written above them. This makes the process easier.

Re: Swapping transistors in sockets

induction
I'd avoid hot-swapping mosfets. Some of them are very static-sensitive.