Sweet Revenge - Soldano Avenger Amp Emulator - Verified

Sweet Revenge - Soldano Avenger Amp Emulator - Verified

anders
This post was updated on .
JOK3XR's take on the Soldano Avenger FET Pre Amp

A couple of resistors have been tweaked by myself to suit 9v/18v operation.
Update 180316
Now verified

Re: Sweet Revenge - Soldano Avenger Amp Emulator - Verified

elrengofa
thanks for the schematic! i've made a pcb for this schematic, but there is a mistake in the schematic.
The 100k resistor that goes from v+to the trimpot of the first stage is missvalued. I think that would be 100R. Just put a bridge there and it started sounding :)

Thanks you again. The schematic on diystompboxes was down

Re: Sweet Revenge - Soldano Avenger Amp Emulator - Verified

Fred Russom
I built the layout exactly like the picture, only difference is I used 5457’s. Fired up first try with no biasing and sounded great. I tweaked the trimpots by ear and now sounds phenomenal.....probably one of the better sounding circuits I’ve built. I’ve never played a real Soldano but this is definitely not just another “general area” distortion.....definitely worth a build.

Re: Sweet Revenge - Soldano Avenger Amp Emulator - Verified

alltrax74
I built it yesterday and my build sounds like shit.
Everything seems to work, but it squeals like a pig and sounds very thin.
I used SMD J201 exept for Q3 where I used a 5458, otherwise I could not bias it to vcc/2 with the 1OOk trimmer

Re: Sweet Revenge - Soldano Avenger Amp Emulator - Verified

alltrax74
I got it to work (my test box battery was almost dead).
After swapping a few Jfets, it sounded ok, no noise, but not so great to my ears.
I won't box it

Re: Sweet Revenge - Soldano Avenger Amp Emulator - Verified

Fred Russom
Have you tried a buffer before it?

Re: Sweet Revenge - Soldano Avenger Amp Emulator - Verified

alltrax74
Yes, a Klon buffer