Switchable diodes on Marshal Bluesbreaker

Switchable diodes on Marshal Bluesbreaker

kirshman
Hey guys.  I have built several bluesbreakers from here:
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/02/marshall-bluesbreaker.html
I want to make the diodes switchable though.  So like normal I pulled 2 wires from where the ends of the diodes would connect, ran them to the opposite sides of a dpdt on-on switch and put the diodes on the end of that switch.  2 pairs of diodes.  The board was working before this and the knobs all still work, but there is no distortion.  The volume pedal brings up the volume, and the gain knob brings it up more, but it seems like the diodes aren't clipping to distort the signal.  Is there a reason I'd have to do a switch differently with this type of layout.  I'm stumped, please help!