Switchless Buffer

kdj432
I've never built a switchless pedal and figured I could just follow the offboard wiring I usually use and just eliminate the switch but it's not working.  I built the Cornish Buffer for this box first and it didn't work at all, found I had wired the output jack incorrectly, fixed that, got signal but effect does not work when I plug in my power source.  I built a basic JFET buffer just because it's such a small circuit to see if that one would work and it has the same problem.  Here are some pictures, what am I doing wrong?

Re: Switchless Buffer

kdj432

Re: Switchless Buffer

Marbles
Oh man, I'm really crappy at identifying the lugs on those jacks... I always solder up the wrong ones.. could that be it? Also a favorite off mine is: Plugging my guitarcable in the outputjack instead of input.

As you can see, not the most brilliant insights, but 2 that I always cross of my list first..

Re: Switchless Buffer

Marbles
Not to offend you in any way ofcourse, just things that i run into myself :D

Re: Switchless Buffer

Marbles wrote
Oh man, I'm really crappy at identifying the lugs on those jacks... I always solder up the wrong ones.. could that be it?
Hah! I have the same problem! I have to get out my multimeter and do a continuity check on this type of jack every time. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the problem. I know I've wired that type of jack up wrong before

Re: Switchless Buffer

Beaker
I use these jacks in all my builds. Even so, I have to cut off the unwanted solder lugs before I install them, to prevent me from soldering the wires to the wrong lugs!

Re: Switchless Buffer

kdj432
That was the problem at first but I have the right lugs soldered now and I'm still having a problem.
D$

Re: Switchless Buffer

D$
I can't really tell from the photos but you could have the 9v jack wired wrong. One of the + lugs is for battery power and one is for wall power.  Try switching it or put a tiny jumper in there.

Re: Switchless Buffer

kdj432
I know what you're talking about, that's not it.

Re: Switchless Buffer

kdj432
So, I built another circuit, Klon Buffer, and it works but it sucks tone which is the opposite reason I'm building this pedal.  why would an OpAmp circuit work but not JFET circuits?  why does this buffer color my tone?  I'm going insane!

Re: Switchless Buffer

induction
In the pictures, your 3k3 (orange-orange-black-brown) resistor looks like a 3M3 (orange-orange-black-yellow).

Are you measuring your components before you install them?

Re: Switchless Buffer

kdj432
No, I'm going build another and go through each component with a fine tooth comb.

Re: Switchless Buffer

kdj432
I think that has a lot to do with it, I guess it's about time I learn the color chart for resistors.  thanks everybody!