TH Custom - Balanced Line Driver

Neil mcNasty
This post was updated on .
Here is TH Custom's "Balanced Line Driver", that can be added to any pedal in order to get a balanced line output via XLR.
Or it can be built as a standalone unit, like I intend to do...
It is not a full D.I.Box design, but something close, intended for guitar/bass signals.
Cool thing is that it runs of a standard +9v supply instead of 48v phantom power.
It also has protection from 48v phantom power at the XLR end, so that a 48v feed from a mixer does not fry it.

I've looked over it a couple of times, and it seems ok, but it is not built and verified yet.

Re: TH Custom - Balanced Line Driver

Muadzin
I have built several of these and they're great.

Re: TH Custom - Balanced Line Driver

Neil mcNasty
Did you use this layout or the TH Custom boards?

Re: TH Custom - Balanced Line Driver

Muadzin
All TH Custom boards, there was no vero layout at the time. If there was I would have given it a try.

I mostly use these together with a buffered splitter and a cab sim board. The idea was to split the signal, one going to a guitar amp, the other through the cab sim board into the balanced driver and then into a mixing desk. Kinda like a Red Box.

Re: TH Custom - Balanced Line Driver

doxasound
Can anyone confirm this is verified/works?

Re: TH Custom - Balanced Line Driver

doxasound
Built two of these, but haven't tested them yet. So far, the 100uf filter cap is backwards.

Re: TH Custom - Balanced Line Driver

Neil mcNasty
Layout has been updated with correct filter cap orientation...

Re: TH Custom - Balanced Line Driver

doxasound
Thanks, Neil!

I'm waiting on a few parts to finish this.

I'm actually using this for a RE-AMP build I'm working on.

Never tried it, but hoping it works well!

Definitely will verify if it does/doesn't!

Re: TH Custom - Balanced Line Driver

doxasound
Just tested both of my Line Drivers and I'm getting guitar, but a lot of white noise.

I saw the THCustom's build doc and followed what it said about C4, C5 being bipolar 10uf caps.

I also made sure the circuit was enclosed to rule out any RF, etc.

I think I used a 1044S.

Anything else I could try? Anyone?

Re: TH Custom - Balanced Line Driver

doxasound