Tantalum capacitors

motterpaul
I don't build tons of pedals (just getting back into it) - maybe two a week. But I have realized that for all the bother, saving 20-cents by buying an electrolytic cap vs a tantalum is just not worth the problems they cause. Most projects only have five or less anyway - so you save $1.00.

How many times have you had to jam an 8-pin socket next to a fat 47uF cap? How many bags of 47uF to 100uF electrols do you have sitting to the side because they are too big to use? (I know I have a few)

It started with me getting a bulk of 100uF tantalums at a good price and trading some out for other values. Now I have them in many values and it is all I want to use. The sound quality and durability are there, and they are a breeze to install.

I'm just mentioning it because Chris noted "low profile caps" from Mklec. I like those, but many times I have tried to order them and I end up getting caps bigger than I expected (I suspect some Chinese companies might change your model number after you order and make you look like you intended to order 7mm x 11mm electrolytics, instead of 6mm x 6mm). I just know there have been three or four times when I have gotten a batch of 100 uF caps and they were bigger than what I remembered ordering - at that rate it doesn't seem to be accidental.

By the way - another good seller is Mammoth - especially if you are looking for better quality rather than bulk discounts.

RE: Tantalum capacitors

Chris60601
Paul

I just got a batch of low profs from Mouser. When I get home, ill send you the part numbers for easy ordering.
I was getting them from small ear, but Mouser was a much better price

[...]

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Tantalum-capacitors-tp26055.html
To start a new topic under Open Chat, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Guitar FX Layouts, click here.
NAML
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

RE: Tantalum capacitors

Sensei Tim
when you're looking for parts on mouser's web site, their search filter is your friend.

Lead spacing, diameter and height are the key parameters.

I always look at the vero and see how much space there is around the cap so i know how to size the diameter accordingly