Tape printers

JaviCAP
Administrator
Just recieved today my new Brother PT-2100,

I wanted to get one since I first saw a JohnK pedal. These are my first impresions:

The printer is easy to operate. The included software, P-Touch Editor 5, has no secrets if you are used to any graphic design program (Photoshop, Gimp,  and so on.

 Well, have just ordered two tapes: white on transparent and black on transparent (18mm both). These are the ones I'm going to use 99% ot the times, as the one incuded with the printer, black on white is nor very useful for pedals build.

I've just made some tries, and I think that on glossy finishes, the transparent ones will we undetectable, just like the John's ones.

Let's hope these tapes come soon, my Triple Wreck needs a refinish :P

BR

Re: Tape printers

Yes I still want one of these, but they don't seem to be too easy to come across in the UK. How much did you pay Javi?

Re: Tape printers

JaviCAP
Administrator
I was lucky, it was just 50 euros (http://www.ebay.es/itm/321138836984?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_500wt_1414).

As the seller was from Madrid too, the "shippin" was easy, just a few tube stations and 20 minutes.

 Anyway, it seems that prices for these printers  are going down very quickly. On past Christmas I was taking a look and the average price was about 120 euros, now it seems easy to get one for about 75-85.

BR

Re: Tape printers

GoranP

Thanks for that info, Javi!
Looking forward to the pics of the transparent tapes, especially the edges on various finishes (please do try to post at least one on an unfinished box).

In my experience, once the price of an item starts to drop dramatically it's usually because the manufacturer has obsoleted the item and it's getting cleared from stock everywhere to make room for the new model. Unfortunately, it also means that whatever stuff you need for it (tapes) will also be out of stock everywhere within a year. Luckily, these days we have this thing called interwebz and this another nifty thing called ebay which can prolong that a bit.

I will most likely get one of these unless the shipping is too much. None to be had locally, naturally. I'll probably need to pay taxes as well so I'll be waiting for the price to drop a bit more.

Re: Tape printers

GoranP

To answer my little rant, Brother site indeed shows it to be discontinued.

I've also checked out local stores, there's only PT-2730VP to be had

http://www.brother-usa.com/Labeling_Solutions/ModelDetail/7/PT2730VP/Overview#.UblkaZxjFgk

which is $130 esrp. Over here it costs $220 which is surprisingly reasonable. Once shipping and customs and taxes are paid, it'd be almost that much minus the hassle.

I'm seriously considering getting it once I see some less flattering shots of the transparent labels, the ones John takes are useless.

So Javi, bad lighting, phone camera, worst angles you can muster, all the flaws upfront and personal, please!

Re: Tape printers

GoranP

Oh and Javi, John... I'd like to know whether you can change tapes mid-roll, it probably says something to that effect in the user manual?

Re: Tape printers

JaviCAP
Administrator
Yes, you can swap tapes with no problem, are just like old music cassetes :P.

John  pics are good, no trick, but is not as easy as dropping a label here an there. You have to cut to size many "pieces" anf finally get something like a puzzle to get good results. These labels are even thinner than wateside decals so just need a little practise :P

BR

Re: Tape printers

GoranP

Good info Javi, I just assumed that they are one-sized pieces.

All I can do at this point is ask for even more pictures of your labeling process.

Do you think 18mm tape is enough or would 24mm be more useful?

Which clear labels did you get, normal or strong glue?

Re: Tape printers

alltrax74
Goran, the PT-2730VP is at 96€ on amazon here

Javi, very interesting
I've been working lately on finishes, I like the water decals, but i like very much the idea of white on transparent tape.
Can't wait for your pics

Re: Tape printers

GoranP

Alltrax, that's great! Hopefully it won't be more than a few years until Amazon starts shipping to my neck of woods.
Getting into EU should definitely help some but there's still probably gonna be a small matter of shipping costs and customs (since Brother stuff isn't made in the EU).

So here I am trying to do your laminate-glue thing (I have two enclosures drying as of last night) and you are moving off to do waterslides? Spraypaint? Powdercoat?

Re: Tape printers

alltrax74
This post was updated on .
If you wish to order the Brother, I can work this out for you and send it to you, you'll just have to pay the extra for the shipping

I'm trying to do something different. I sand the enclosure down to 1000 grit, apply the water decal then gun spay with a cellulose varnish that I previoulsy tinted.
Here is my first try (5 coats with brown dye) :

Re: Tape printers

JaviCAP
I hope the tapes come here in about 7-10 days (long way from Hong Kong, but I prefer to wait and pay 10 euros than ordering'em here in Madrid, waiting a week and spending 24 euros for each one :P

Let's hope the results are ok, i'll let you know!

Re: Tape printers

alltrax74
Can you share your link for the tapes Javi ?
Thx

Re: Tape printers

JaviCAP

Re: Tape printers

alltrax74

Re: Tape printers

alltrax74
Bump !
So Javi, how does it go with your label printer ?

Re: Tape printers

JaviCAP
Administrator
Hi!

Well, I really did not get great results with the label printer, and it's a pity, because with clear enclosures, water silde decals are great, but with dark ones, it really sucks.

I'll have to give some more tries, but really could not get amazing results when I tried.

J.

Re: Tape printers

alltrax74
So, what was the issue ?
I'm seriously considering buying one for white on transparent labels.

Re: Tape printers

cylens
Since I own a PT2100, here's what I think:

The quality of the impression is not very good: for example, here's what I got lately:

http://i.imgur.com/7hrpxc6.jpg

But that's OK, especially for white on dark colors, it can be really nice for a minimalistic finish, like this, for example:

But the most annoying thing is there's a fairly large impression margin, so you have to cut down every label you print, otherwise, you'll have more than 1mm of blank/clear tape around the frame... (that's why I stick with rectangular frames, btw... hate those round corners).

Otherwise the label quality is very good, it's tough and sticks even on textured finishes.

Re: Tape printers

JaviCAP
Administrator
Yeah, that's my problem too: you have to cut every fuc*ng label you print. The smaller and closer to the fonts the piece, the better the results.

My results are nearer to Cylens ones than to Johnk. maybe the brand of the tape, not sure, but labels are clearly noticed when you look at the pedal.

J.
12