Tayda 16mm pots

ham_phist
Hey all,

has anyone had an issue where when you roll a tayda pot all the way to the right or left, it completely cuts out? I've had that happen with a couple 100k pots, and now a 10k I was using as a tone knob on a tube screamer circuit.

Re: Tayda 16mm pots

Kinski
Nope. Never. And I've used piles of their pots over the years.

Re: Tayda 16mm pots

Silver Blues
Same ^ must be some strange anomaly. I got some questionable quality jacks from them once and it's never happened again.

Re: Tayda 16mm pots

motterpaul
Yes, I have seen it happen when I try to re-use pots from old unboxed effects I have had in a drawer for a year. Replacing the old pot with a new one fixes the problem. But most new pots from Tayda I have gotten have been just fine.

I have also had some new builds where a pot on full causes the circuit to cut out, but I think it was a design issue (or my error), not the pot iself.

Re: Tayda 16mm pots

ham_phist
I've seen it with a couple now. Almost as if on the inside of the pot, the track ends and the wiper keeps going and there's no connection. Oh well, just seeing if anyone else has experienced it. These are brand new also.

Thx

Re: Tayda 16mm pots

Strangely enough I just saw this thread. I haven't had that issue before, it's kinda odd. Besides keeping the eye out for it with my stock of pots, I would send tayda an email about it and mention that you're having an issue with the lot. I would expect they would send a new batch out to make up for it. You may have gotten some bad pots.

Re: Tayda 16mm pots

Zanius
I've built a Box of Rock yesterday and everything works fine except the two drive pots. Both are C 5K from Tayda, and they both produce hiss when turned. Actually I had ordered three and one of them was dead on arrival. It's the first time I had a problem after 50-ish tayda pots, so I won't hold a grudge.

Re: Tayda 16mm pots

The C5K drive pots are altering the bias of the mosfets and it's normal to hear a crackle when you turn those pots. That's why Zvex labelled them "crackle ok"

I've bought hundreds of pots from Tayda and haven't had any issues so far. It's always possible that they got a bad batch of parts though

Re: Tayda 16mm pots

Zanius
Really? I think I went through all the comments in the layout page and didn't stumble upon that. Good to know! Faulty or not, Tayda remains the best in my books.

Re: Tayda 16mm pots

travis is spot on about that. unlike puting a bias pot for a transistor mosfets make some noise. you're golden, no problem with your build at all.