Tayda hardware - ONE NUT

CthulhuOO7
So all of my pots, jacks, the DC jacks, and the mini toggles came with one nut, one washer. Is this typical? That's useless! Not only that, but I ordered multiple quantities. The picture shows that but I didn't realize it until I got them as I wouldn't have guessed they would send them like that. Also it doesn't look like they sell any nuts separately.

Re: Tayda hardware - ONE NUT

Suzukiscottie
They should all have their own nut & washer. Somebody has screwed up. Let them know.

Re: Tayda hardware - ONE NUT

strassercaster
I usually get two nuts and a flat washer with a little tip that sticks out making it useless for the outside and a washers that has a jagged center. Tayda has only messed up one item on one order of mine in almost a year with 15 orders and about 600 in over 5000  parts.I wouldnt loose faith. they are really good cheap and much quicker than a long time ago. I got shorted those little plastic pieces that go in the led holder for the led legs. that was it i told them and they sent more.

Re: Tayda hardware - ONE NUT

CthulhuOO7
Whelp, I was partially wrong. I was at the hardware store trying to find nuts to fit and saw the mini toggle did have two nuts and a washer as do the stomp switches. BUT the DC jacks, the input / output jacks and all the Alpha pots only have one nut and one washer. I bought some nylon washers to take up the space, but what a pain in the butt.

I do like them and have placed three orders recently. The pots and DC jacks have been spread through those orders, so I guess it's normal? It makes them difficult to use and get to the right height.

Re: Tayda hardware - ONE NUT

Muadzin
I'm confused. In my experience ordering from places like Tayda, Smallbear, Musikding, Mammoth, Banzai, Newtone, Bitsbox, almost everything except switches has only one nut and a washer. The only pots I've seen with two nuts and two washers were guitar pots. Everything else, one nut, one washer. And in the case of DC jacks, just one nut.

Height has never been an issue with me. Shaft width on the other hand on the solid shaft pots, big time. Some pots have 6.3mm width shafts. Others have 6mm shafts. Which can be a big problem with ordering expensive metal knobs as for some strange reason (karma? a perverse sense of humor by the universe?) I always end up with knobs that only seem to fit on 6mm shafts. When I actually need knobs that can fit on 6.3mm shafts instead. Thank God Tayda pots have 6mm shafts.

Re: Tayda hardware - ONE NUT

cylens
same here...

Re: Tayda hardware - ONE NUT

CthulhuOO7
This post was updated on .
So this is the norm then. But how do you get your DC jacks to be relatively even with the outside of the box? Or do they stick out? Or the pots from sticking up too high?

EDIT - I finally figured out that I ordered the wrong DC jacks! I didn't know they came in two versions, innie and outie. DOH! And, the Tayda 1/4" jacks don't have those cool star washers to adjust the height on the inside. I'm really not that big of a dope, I'm just so focused on the electronics part!

Re: Tayda hardware - ONE NUT

Muadzin
I don't think you're a dope. You should feel free to ask any question you want, that's the only way anyone can learn anything. You do however seem to be asking questions to problems nobody seems to have experienced. The outer edge of my DC jacks always sits nice and flat against my pedal, unless I did some incredibly messy drilling. The shafts of my pots never stick out too high, unless I ordered dodgy knobs from some dodgy Chinese Ebay seller (never again!). In fact whenever I put my knobs on I can't press them down in full or they will touch the nut and making it rough to turn the knob. I usually have to raise the knob a little so the nut becomes visible underneath for smooth turning.

Re: Tayda hardware - ONE NUT

I don't think you are a dope either. Everyone has their own way of looking at the aesthetic side of things, and if visible threads on jacks and nuts offends your sense of order, then that is fine by me.

When working on a guitar, I totally agree with you - I hate seeing threads, and using lock washers on the inside helps to avoid this, along with reducing the chances of the pot or jack working loose.

I have learned to be less fussy with pedals, and for this reason alone:- The crucial extra couple of millimetres of space gained by not using lock washers on the inside of the enclosures, make a big difference to the amount of useable space inside.

I use the Tayda plastic box type jack sockets and in a 1590B box the terminals will foul on each other if you use lock washers.  Similarly, if you use lock washers on the pots, the extra height can cause the board to stick out of the back of the enclosure, meaning you can't get the lid on.

If you do want to use them, bulk packs of lock washers are easy and cheap to get from a hardware store or from ebay.

Re: Tayda hardware - ONE NUT

CthulhuOO7
I'm not really super anal about it, but I don't want 1/2" of thread sticking out either. Or the pot knobs hovering over the box. I've been snapping of the little tab on the pots which make them higher unless I have some kind of a spacer.

My biggest vexation was the DC jacks, until I realized that they had two types. After looking through the build thread and seeing everyones bulkhead fitting DC jacks I realized there were two kinds.

First build, Skreddy P19 clone is done and I'll post in the build thread when it's boxed.

Re: Tayda hardware - ONE NUT

scimitar
I agree regarding the DC jacks - I used the inside fitting ones at first but they do look really ugly. I now use the outside ones which look good but make builds more painful since I always (unlike everyone else it seems) wired everything up before boxing - which you can't do with the outside DC jacks.