Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

It's 20 watts into a 4 ohm speaker, or 12 watts into an 8 ohm speaker

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

inefficiency
Awesome. I think a little 4ohm 1x12 or something similar might be on the cards.

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

Lazy Swamis
Two tens
At practice i use my timmy as a pre-amp straight into the effects return on an old solid state fender, bypassing the broken pre-amp section of the amp. Hopefully this will sound as good.

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

inefficiency
I thought about sticking this in an enclosure with an overdrive and a reverb. Then it really is like an amp! 2 channels and built in verb!

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

perpetual-amateur
Stoked to see this one getting so much love... I would have asked for it or tried it myself in a few weeks if it hadn't already come up.  I want to build up a pair of these for a stereo / 2 channel version of this.

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

tjdracz
inefficiency wrote
I thought about sticking this in an enclosure with an overdrive and a reverb. Then it really is like an amp! 2 channels and built in verb!
I was thinking of doing something similar. Get ROG English Channel or something as a preamp, then add some power amp and maybe Belton brick reverb and some tremolo!
Not sure though if Tiny Giant is the best option for power amp? Any suggestions?

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

Put one of the recent amp emulation preamps in with it.  It'll be the smallest Uberschall in the world

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

inefficiency
Perfect!

It'd be nice to possibly have a switch to change the signal path so that rather than go to the Tiny Giant power section it goes to a cab sim with an output to go straight into the PA or headphones.

Dunno how great that would sound, but it'd be really versatile. You could take it to a band session and if it ain't loud enough, just stick it through the PA. You might even consider gigging with it I suppose if you dig the tone enough!

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

Lazy Swamis
From the original documentation. MORE POWER (who doesn't want that)
"Getting more power
You can get more power out of the amp by raising the supply voltage. The voltage out of the LM338 regulator is cont-
rolled by 2 resistors - on the PCB they are 120R (120ohms) and 1k. You can raise the supply voltage by making the 1k
resistor larger, according to this chart:
Raise the 1k to: the output voltage becomes: t
he power becomes:
1.2k 13.75v 20w
1.5k 16.88v 24w
Don't go above 1.5k. You'll be putting too much stress on the power amp chip. Obviously, changing the supply voltage"

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

arkham00
Hi, can someone tell me which heat sinks I need for this project ?
Is there anything in this list that would do the trick ? https://www.musikding.de/navi.php?qs=heat+sink
Thanks

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

alltrax74
This post was updated on .
I'm not sure about the heatsink but I redrew a layout which will allow to cool the amplifier by fixing it to the enclosure. TDA legs will need to be bent a little but that should not be an issue.
Circuit will have to be isolated from the enclosure, with tape for exemple
I used this schematic and also added the line input, but removed the regulator (you can find good quality 12V@5A power supplies for 12€/$/£ on amazon for exemple, this what I will use)

And here is my layout, not verified for the moment. I'm odering the TDA to build it

Layout updated sept 19th, IC orientation was wrong and both 2k2 are 2R2

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

arkham00
Thank you for your answer, what is the benefit in removing the regulator and feeding it with 12v ?

On 18 September 2017 at 17:35, alltrax74 [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not sure about the heatsink but I redrew a layout which will allow to cool the amplifier by fixing it to the enclosure. TDA legs will need to be bent a little but that should not be an issue.
Circuit will have to be isolated from the enclosure, with tape for exemple
I used this schematic and also added the line input, but removed the regulator (you can find good quality 12V@5A power supplies for 12€/$/£ on amazon for exemple, this what I will use)

And here is my layout, not verified for the moment. I'm odering the TDA to build it

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Taylor-Livingston-Tiny-Giant-20W-Solid-state-amplifier-tp5099p39929.html
To unsubscribe from Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier, click here.
NAML

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

alltrax74
This post was updated on .
No real benefit, it's just that I wanted to be able to fix the heating parts directly to the enclosure for enhanced cooling efficiency (like it was on the original sold out pcb) so had to redrew a layout. Considering I'm going to use a 12v power supply, no need for the regulator, a few parts saved

On a side note, on the above schematic there is between each speaker terminal and TDA outputs 5 and 7 a 2.2k resistor in serie with a 220n capacitors. They don't appear on the main page layout. It seems to be a 330Hz low pass filter

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

alltrax74
Layout updated, IC orientation was wrong and needed to be rotated 180°

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

For you guys that are interested in this, be sure to check out Kinski's "Amp Discovery" thread in open chat as well.

He found some fully populated class D power amp boards on eBay for cheaper than you could probably build this project. They are very compact and combine easily with preamps/amp emulators found on the site here plus they are available with more power

Worth looking into. Several of us have been playing with them with impressive results. Still not gonna throw out my tube amps but they are fun

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

alltrax74
Right, I have one on its way, 50w

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

arkham00
wow thank you for the advice, I found one for 2.58€, basically I'm gonna spend more for the enclosure and the jacks lol

On 19 September 2017 at 15:17, alltrax74 [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Right, I have one on its way, 50w

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Taylor-Livingston-Tiny-Giant-20W-Solid-state-amplifier-tp5099p39948.html
To unsubscribe from Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier, click here.
NAML

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

alltrax74
Where did you source it from ?

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

arkham00

On 19 September 2017 at 16:02, alltrax74 [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where did you source it from ?

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Taylor-Livingston-Tiny-Giant-20W-Solid-state-amplifier-tp5099p39951.html
To unsubscribe from Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier, click here.
NAML

Re: Taylor Livingston Tiny Giant 20W Solid state amplifier

alltrax74
I updated the layout which I verified (except the line in). Great little amp, and loud
Read the documentation before building !!!

12