The That JAM Compressor power supply

GrooveChampion
Can someone please explain to me why cant I power this with a standard 12V/-12V charge pump?

Re: The That JAM Compressor power supply

induction
This circuit requires too much current for a 7660s or MAX1044. With a 12V supply, an LT1054 will give you -12V and enough current.

You can also get there from 9V with an LT1054 and some additional circuitry, which is what everything in the bottom 7 rows of the bigger layout is.

Re: The That JAM Compressor power supply

GrooveChampion
That's the deal, isnt there a smaller form of charge pump that can deliver said current using a LT1054?

Re: The That JAM Compressor power supply

induction
Yes. If your input voltage is +12V, you can use the LT1054 application notes inverter, which is simpler. Or you can use the 7660s inverter layout, but don't link pins 1 and 8. (The extra circuitry in the existing layout assumes an input voltage of +9V.)

For the record, I haven't tested this inverter in this circuit, but it should have enough current.