The state of the earth

strewel_peterson
Hi everyone,

I've been wondering about this for a while now, and would appreciate other people's thoughts and wisdom:

I have a few bits of mains powered equipment (laptop, Yamaha THR, Orange Micro Terror spring to mind) where the PSU's negative (0v) terminal floats - in other words, there is no direct connection from here to earth/ground. When I'm playing through these they often buzz unless: 1. I firmly hold the guitar strings (or touch the bridge, jack socket etc), or 2. I play through a pedal whose AC adapter doesn't have a floating earth, or 3. I use a non-floating earth AC adapter for the THR, Orange, laptop etc.).

I actually ended up buying replacement PSUs for the Orange and the THR (kudos to Orange, who sell a very reasonably priced replacement 15v PSU online, and deliver it very quickly), which have fixed most of my problems.

My main question at the moment is around the practicality/safety of option 2 above - ie where everything, including the floating 0v from the supply, gets grounded through something else. I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Of course, there's always the possibility of introducing more noise this way via ground loops, so another aspect to this thread might be practical, safe and quiet grounding schemes.

Anyway - I really look forward to your thoughts - I'm sure I'll learn a lot from them.

Cheers.