Ticking Sweet Honey Overdrive

Marbles
Hey Guys,

I have build a sweet honey overdrive and really like it! It's buttery smooth, love the gain range, but.. There is something off. Everything works as it should, but the decay is not as smooth. It slowly fades out, but sometimes sputter a teeny bit, not that smooth as the original I can remember.

Apart from that there is a ticking noise. It's soft, but noticable. Especially when turning the gain up. I changed the led's, but no difference. I would say it's the IC maybe? The ticking I find weird in an overdrive, never had that before. Don't have another OP275 unfortunately.. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: Ticking Sweet Honey Overdrive

Ciaran Haslett
Can't speak for your decay issues as I haven't built/heard this pedal before but....the ticking is almost certainly your power supply.  I get this sometimes when using unregulated and/or switch mode supplies.  Try with a battery to see if it's still there.

Re: Ticking Sweet Honey Overdrive

Marbles
Thanks for your quick reply! I'll try that!

My powersupply is a Carl Martin Pro Power, which shouldn't give me problems I think.. Is it possible that it's like this cause it is hooked up to my testbox with alligator clips?

Re: Ticking Sweet Honey Overdrive

Ciaran Haslett
It's possible.  It's also possible your build is picking up stray RF/EMI etc from your environment.  Computer screens/fluorescent lights etc.  I've had some builds sound just like that but we're sorted after being boxed in a grounded enclosure.