Tone Bender MKIII quirks...

alange5
I built a Sola bender MKIII. It sounds good, but when my volume knob is backed off even a tiny bit, it gets very muddy and dark.  With max guitar volume, it sounds great - just like a lot of demos out there.  All of the pedal controls work as they should, but I can't seem to get that "cleaned up bender" sound.

I used NTE102A's in Q1 and Q2 (about 80 hfe) and a Russian MN21A (about 100 hfe) for Q3.  I substituted a 1N34A ge diode for the 1N270 in the layout.  All other parts are per the layout on this site.

Voltages:

Q1 & Q2: C  -3.8v
               B -1.52v
               E -1.49v

Q3:         C -3.2v
               B -.06v
               E 0v

Note: I settled on these three transistors after swapping through about a dozen others.  The rolled off volume problem was overall consistent regardless of which transistors I used.

I'm using a tele through a Princeton Reverb.  I tried it out with a few different guitars, all with the same results.

Another weird quirk:  with the pedal engaged, when the guitar's volume knob is turned down to anything less than full, the guitar's tone knob doesn't do much.  It's just as muddy at 10 and 0.

Any ideas?