Tonebender Mark III or Yardbox

motterpaul
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Tonebender Mark II or Yardbox

This is totally different than a MKII, and the Yardbox is not a vintage pedal, nor was it used by Zep

Re: Tonebender Mark II or Yardbox

Neil mcNasty
This post was updated on .
Travis: I think you might be to too much focused on the date the Yardbox was released.
Yes it is true that it is not a vintage pedal...
BUT:
The Yardbox is a COPY of the MODIFIED (original) Tonebender (not MKII) that was used by Jimmy Page on the two first Led Zeppelin albums (Prescription Electronics' Story about the pedal design), which he also used on the Yardbirds albums. Therefore the name "Yardbox".

Regarding the angled resistor in the layout:
Why not put it straight as the others?
There is room for it, even though there might be a millimeter gap at one end, instead of 100% flat.

The hangup about not having standing resistors... well... It's a hangup!
And it is mainly based on cosmetics and Jedi mind-tricks!
If you don't mind standing resistors, you will be able to make the board much smaller. And that is a good thing in my world!
Only DIY pedal builders has any interest in opening the pedal up, in order to have a look at the circuit.
The rest... They just look for the battery snap.
Personally... I do not give a shit about how it looks. It's not a painting!
If it works and sounds good... All is good!!!

I actually advertise with "vintage rats nest wiring" when selling my pedals. Nobody cares or understand that stuff anyway, it just brings the price up because it sounds cool when reading it.
Normal People (not us pedal building geeks) only care about how it sounds, and looks on the outside!
I even write "Vintage Millitary Grade Germanium Transistor for maximum un-predictability in a live situation", and everybody believes that it's a good thing...
Laughing all the way to the bank...

Re: Tonebender Mark II or Yardbox

motterpaul
Sorry - I meant to say "Mark III" - with the tone control. Also, I said my design started as a Yardbox, but it morphed into this, which is closer to a Mark III as far as I know because it only has three knobs and the gain is eliminated. I wasn't trying to give the history of fuzz pedals here.