Tonemender - Hiwatt Stacked

Neil mcNasty
Here is a version of the Tonemender with a Hiwatt Tone-Stack.
It has been requested, built, tested and verified by traktop, and is now ready for the Verified section!
Enjoy!

Re: Tonemender - Hiwatt Stacked

traktop
Here is mine; It turned out sexy as hell!

I tried downgrading the master volume pot to 250k in order to make this effect not so loud as hell as I´m using it to "clean up" my cranked hiwatt amp, not to boost it. But that just made the effect "less loud", cause even when the master volume pot is at zero resistance, this thing won´t go near silent, and I just need a little more attenuation in order to make this idea work perfectly.
Looking at the original Tonemender layout, I´m thinking on just adding a resistor after treble 2 pot lug or something, as the first opamp amplifier seemed to be as it minimum volume level.
Any Idea on this one?
Cheers, Gilberto.

Re: Tonemender - Hiwatt Stacked

Frank_NH
If you look at that last op amp stage, it's non-inverting, meaning that the gain will never go below 1 (unity) even when fully off.  Moreover, with the volume all the way up, you're getting a gain of ~100!  I would use a 100K volume pot.  Or you could keep the 500K and change the 4.7K/470n leg to 47K/47n.

Re: Tonemender - Hiwatt Stacked

Neil mcNasty
Here's an idea that will give you what you need:
Make the volume pot an internal trimpot (that can used to set to the maximum desired level), and then remove the 100K resistor to the left of the shortest link and add a 100K pot at the output.
Now you have a master volume control that functions as a normal volume pot, which gives you the possibility to go below unity level (or silent if desired..)

Re: Tonemender - Hiwatt Stacked

traktop
I will try it when I got some time, thanks.
What you suggest is basically turn what seems to be a pulldown resistor into a master volume pot, right?
Should I try a bigger value volume pot so it don´t mess with the highs, or am I talking nonsense here...?
Cheers, Gilberto.