Transistor question

lordradish
Hey, folks, I have a transistor question... I'm building the Pro Analog MK II fuzz http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2016/02/pro-analog-mkiii-fuzz.html, and the geranium transistors I got weren't marked for the CBE. I have plenty 2n5088 transistors... could I at least test the circuit with those, even though they're somewhat different? I'm getting a weak througput when I put the pedal on, but no fuzz, and I just want to make sure it isn't the transistors.

Re: Transistor question

Beaker
That circuit needs PNP transistors. 2N5088 are NPN and will not work.

You will need to try some PNP alternatives - what ones do you have?

Re: Transistor question

iggy
If you not getting any fuzz, you likely have the transistors in the wrong way. What transistors do you have maybe I can help you determine the pin outs for them. and make sure they are PNP for that layout. Like Paul said, don't put in NPN types.
Or check out     http://alltransistors.com/
that site has a great amount of information on transistors.

Re: Transistor question

strewel_peterson
I think this circuit uses PNP transistors, and 5088s are NPN, so they wouldn't work.

I think any small signal PNP silicon transistors you have lying around would be ok for testing purposes, though, if you suspect your Ge's are goosed.

Re: Transistor question

lordradish
I have OC44's and OC71's. One of them has a red dot on one side, the others, nothing. Thanks.

On 4/6/2016 2:32 PM, iggy [via Guitar FX Layouts] wrote:
If you not getting any fuzz, you likely have the transistors in the wrong way. What transistors do you have maybe I can help you determine the pin outs for them. and make sure they are PNP for that layout. Like Paul said, don't put in NPN types.
Or check out     http://alltransistors.com/
that site has a great amount of information on transistors.

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Transistor-question-tp29535p29537.html
To unsubscribe from Transistor question, click here.
NAML

Re: Transistor question

iggy
here are some pin outs that should help

red dot should notate the collector.

Re: Transistor question

iggy
If you're new to germanium or transistors in general there are a few sites that I have found to be very helpful. My favorites have been

alltransistors.com
alldatasheet.com
radiomuseum.org/

and i think there is one like

 www.datasheetarchive.com or something similar

lots of great information readily available.

and there's always the high Priest of GE: Lord Rockett.

Re: Transistor question

lordradish wrote
I have OC44's and OC71's. One of them has a red dot on one side, the
others, nothing. Thanks.
As I said in your other thread, remember that the germanium transistors from mammoth are new production and not comparable to their NOS counterparts

By all means try them out to see if you can get a good sound, but I wouldn't recommend buying more.

The red dot indicates the collector. If there's a metal tab on the bottom that's the emitter. If the pins are in a triangular shape like this (looking from the bottom side) the pinout is almost always

   •    Collector
•       Base
   •    Emitter

Re: Transistor question

lordradish
I think I have this all figured out, now, thanks to you fine folks. Hopefully, I can get this to work.